HybridZ

Question about fixing mistakes in SS urethane paint

FFMarc

Alright this is my first time painting anything and I have a couple questions about fixing some runs and orange peel in single stage Flat Black Paint.

the paint was a hot rod flatz, it came out like a semi gloss, I think I sprayed it too thick. Although I haven't looked at it in the sun. The orange peel isn't bad and I would be happy with it, but a have 2 medium sized runs down both drip rails that i'd like to fix. My questions is can I wet sand out the runs and orange peel then buff and keep the flat look or will the buffing it gloss it? Or am I going to have to sand them down and repaint? Any help is appreciated. I searched but nothing for SS flat paint

A good trick is to take some masking tape and lightly go over the runs with the sticky side when the paint is still wet.

Since yours is dry it's going to be a little more work. You can use a razor to try and cut the runs out then wet sand them down. Your most certainly going to have to buff it out to get a smooth finish.

Not sure about the whole flat black thing but, the clear is continuous throughout the paint so I dont even understand how you can get a flat look.

Ya sand out the defects and squirt those areas.Any buffing will alter the flat effect your looking for and be more noticable than the runs.Then post up some pics, wish I had the talent and cahones to attempt my own paint job. I'll just have to sell more frame rails etc.. to pay the man when I;m ready to repaint my car.

If this is the look you are going for, sanding and buffing is not going to cut it.

pic8.jpg

To get a smoother finish with primer you need to reduce it. When I had mine done the painter painted the first two coats mixing as the direction said, but the third coat got more reducer so it goes on smoother.

Thats a good idea I'll wet sand everything with 800 grit the go over it with another coat, i'll just a lil more reducer. I think it looks good and my body work turned out better then I thought lol. But I guess only a mother could love a ugly child. I'll post pics first thing tomorrow when I get home