HybridZ

R200 LSD swap clarification

CU Zcar

Sorry to bring up such a common topic once again, but I'm a little confused and tired of searching. To put the '87-89 300ZXT R200 LSD into a '78 280Z already equipped with the earlier R200, is the following all that is required to mate the 280Z driveshaft to the LSD rearend's input?

1) remove the bolt on the front of both diff's

2) swap the "companion flanges"

3) replace bolts and torque to spec (I have specs in a factory service manual)

Is that it, or are there issues with spline numbers, etc? I've read previous posts concerning the presence/absence of a crush washer, and that doesn't concern me either way.

If I don't find one of these LSD's I may be back to get one of those Phantom Grips from the "scca" fellow :D thanks,

Guest Anonymous

One other thing to modify will be the crossmember. That is only if you're keeping the original LSD cover. Most R200 and R230 LSDs that I've seen have a "finned" cover. If you chose to keep your exsisting R200 cover, just swap yours for the LSD and presto! From here, I would suggest changing all of the seals while you're at it. Funny thing....I have an LSD for sale.....the bad news is it's an R160! twak.gif

Here's a few shots of my "LSDs"..

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/hijodea/lst?.dir=/R200LSD+vs+R160LSD&.view=l

cheers.gif

SmackZ

DAW, I like the way you think. When I put my R200 LSD diff in, I swapped a non-finned R200 cover onto it. But thinking back, I can't remember ever seeing a picture of an R200 finned cover that didn't have a few fins broken off at the bottom, like the one I got with my used LSD diff.

Now I', thinking you've got a good idea for me. I can't use the bumped out custom brace that's out there for this swap, due to my exhaust routing. But if I just trimmed the bottom of the fins off the cover, I could have most of the fins still there (although it'd be good to have the lower parts there, since the fluid is at the mid/bottom of the cover).

Thanks for that idea!

Another oddity when I did the swap on an 83ZX, was a boss cast onto the lower portion of the case. It wouldn't allow the diff to settle in enough to bolt in. I tried twice before I realized I had to grind it off. I never heard anyone else mention this, though. Doug(opie).

• 2 weeks later...