HybridZ

QUESTIONS ANOUT PHANTOM GRIP

660Z

I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS. I RAN A SEARCH ON PHANTOM GRIP AND IM CONFUSED.MAYBE IT`S BECAULSE IT`S 6 AM ON A SUNDAY AND IM AT WORK.ANY WAY MY QUESTIONS.

IS IT LIKE A POWERTRAX UNIT MEANING IT INSTALLS IN YOUR EXISTING OPEN DIFF?

IM ASSUMING FROM THE SEARCH OUR REARS ARE THE SAME AS THE 200SX REARS?(MY R200 REARS ARE FROM A 280Z AND A 280ZX FROM A TWO SEATER J CODE NOT SURE THE YEAR)

DO YOU THINK IT WILL HOLD UP TO DRAG RACING?

ALSO WOULD I STILL BE ABLE TO GET IT FROM HYBRIDZ MEMBERS AT A CASH DISCOUNT?

THANKS FOR THE HELP I LOOKED INTO POWERTRAX LAST WEEK AND WAS SUPRISED THEY DIDN`T MAKE A UNIT FOR IT BUT THEY HAVE A UNIT FOR TOYOTA GO FIGURE.MARK

Installation is similar to the powertrax/lock right unit.The difference is, the PG doesn`t lock. It`s more like the cone type or clutchless limited slip that gm used in the mid 80`s. It uses two hardened steel blocks and a set of springs to put pressure on the spider gears. I`m not sure about the discount, someone else will have to chime in. I do know that they are still available ;)

Hey guys,

Maybe I'm dumb, or I am missing something, but I am not really worried about the phantom grip itself. My biggest concern is with the spider gears and other related parts. I mean you are forcing them together to make a LSD. b_hand.gif What do guys think the long term effect is going to be on the rear. I want a car that drags well and autocrosses well. I just fear that I will be swapping rears every week. Am I being too conservative? :confused: Let me know what you guys think. If I'm wrong about my thought process let me know, I don't mind learning.

Yea I got a good look at a phantom grip and could see more harm than good.For one thing it`s not reconmended for over 375hp (they said nothing about tourqe) also when it wears away (and it will)all the metal will go right to the gears.At least in my case datsun rears aren`t falling from trees.If anything i`ll wait for powertrax to come out with a unit.Just my humble 2 cents....mark

Guest Craig280z

Aren't the 200sx differentials slightly different from the 280z's?

I saw a 200sx LSD on ebay a while back and did a search. I ended up on a Nissan parts site and I was looking at the diameters of some of the internal parts of the differentials. Comparing the 78 280z Open differential and the 200SX LSD R200. They were different sizes. Like 10mm and 12mm or 12mm and 14mm I can't remember. I don't know enough about them to recognize the parts they were talking about so I don't remember what exactly they were.

I just felt like the 200sx internals could not be installed in my 280z R200.

Can anyone confirm that the 200sx R200 LSD is not the same as the 89 300ZX R200 LSD?