HybridZ

R230 diff questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Enlighten me. Besides the Q45, what other cars have this carrier? What are the most common gear ratios? Is there an easy way to id this carrier and what ratio is inside? Do all R230 carriers have a limited slip diff? All R230 carriers use CV output shafts, right? If 230 refers to the ring gear diameter in millimeters, then it's approximately 9", correct? Thanks in advance.

Guest Aaron

The R230 has been in two cars AFAIK. The 90-96 Q45 and the 90-96 300ZX Turbo. All R230s are LSD, and 230 is the ring gear diameter. The Q used larger diameter CV shafts than the 300. The Q's ratio was 2.54, and the 300 was 3.692. There has been controversy on the board whether the N/A 300ZX has a R230 or a R200. Its ratio is 4.083. There is a company called B.A.D. (look for them at www.nissaninfiniticlub.com ) that has a 4.11 gear for that rear end.

They were used in some later model 240SXs too. I wonder what's used in the other Infiniti sedans like the G20...I've heard the J30's VLSD

can be swapped into a 240SX.

NA Z32 (90-96) was the R200VLSD is what I heard.

You can tell an R230 right away by the output flanges, they have like 6 bolts.

http://www.v8zcar.com/s30z/r230.htm

If you can find a good cheap R200 LSD get it, the only reason why I went with the R230 was because they were actually cheaper than the crapped out R200s in my area. But putting it on takes a lot of custom work. And it's heavier than a mofo!

Owen

My info shows that both the normally aspirated and Turbo 300ZXs are viscous limited slip. The ratios differ however. NA is 4.08:1 and the Turbo is 3.61:1. I have a Turbo version and have verified its a 3.61 but have never seen a NA version in person. In addition, it appears the Q45 rear cover is more user friendly for mounting to an early Z cars moustache bar. Mine might require some 1/4" spacer washers to make sure the bulge in the case clears the moustache bar. If I knew where to pick up just the diff cover off of a Q45 cheap (if anybody knows where I could, please let me know) I'd use that one instead of the one off the 300ZX.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Nissan/Infiniti had a habit of making interchangeable driveline parts in their early 90's RWD vehicles. The R230 came out ONLY in the 90-96's TT 300ZX's and 90-94 Infiniti Q45's (in '95 and '96, Q45's were "detuned," valve-timing was no longer available, no VSLD either).

The Infiniti J30's do have a VLSD but it's the R200. Infiniti G20 is a FWD vehicle.

I'm really uptight when it comes to maintaining my Q45, a couple months back I replaced the diff with a takeout from a junkyard for $350. Nothing wrong with the original diff but after seeing 200k miles I figured it was in the latter part of it's life-cycle.