HybridZ

SU velocity stack/filter options

zclubhouse

Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to find some information on using a velocity stack/carb air horn with a 1.75" SU carb. I have searched all over this site and I have not been able to find anything. I am running a 10.5 comp L28 with a mild cam and headers and I do not have the funds for triples so I am trying to get the most out of what I already have. I was thinking about getting these http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=5142

which should give me a reasonable power increase over the K&N filters I am running right now. However, I need some sort of filter so when I do not suck rocks through the motor. What options do I have for filters or other velocity stacks? I can always get a universal taper and tig it to a flange too. What are you SU guys running? Thanks in advance

Andrew

Starting to answer my own question. I might be the only one on this quest but I thought I would share the info as a possible resource for others. Let me know if you guys find anything else.

Forgot about thezstore.com and stumbled upon these possibilities the other day. Radius doesn't seem to be as large as the ones Pegasus Racing offers, its a shame that there isn't more information available on actual dimensions.

Heres an option for early SU's, the bolt pattern seems to be the same as my 73 SUs but if I had to guess, I would think that zstore and motorsport z know what they are talking about. At $50 a piece thats the best price I have seen.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PFFC07/11-3014

large113014.jpg

They are also compatible with K&N filters which I know for a fact that the pegasus auto racing ones above are not. These are the filters I am currently running and I have no complaints. $57 a piece from thezstore

large114010.jpg

Motorsport Z also offers these ITG filters for their air horns is yet another option. Again, I wish dimensions were available because I would not want the stack + filter pushing all the way out against the inner fender wall. 2 options from ITG, either single SU filters or a double option. Heres a link for the single at $85.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PFFC09/11-3025

im about to do the same thing for my car....my idea was to get the stacks and some of that foam looking filter stuff and some net wire mesh and make some individual filters on each of the stacks that dont protrude from them and just goes over the front and have the net wire mesh hold the filter pieces on....fyi that foam filter can be bought at any hardware store for cheap and be cut to any shape you want

If you are cheap like me you can cut the air horns from the backing plate of the stock air filter housing and place them under your K&N filters. In my case they were free since I had a beat-up old housing and they work fine.

I got mine from Black Dragon a couple of years ago. They were something like $20.00 a piece.

I looked through their online catalog but could not seem to find anything. Any chance you could post a part number or link? 20 a piece is by far the cheapest I have heard of.

I got MSA horns on my 73 that has 72 SUs on it. I use the ITG filters, which I think work great and look real good too.

I think that is what I am favoring right now. Not sure I will spring for the ITG setup because I already have the K&N filters. Are ITGs supposed to flow better than the K&N or are they comparable?

If you are cheap like me you can cut the air horns from the backing plate of the stock air filter housing and place them under your K&N filters. In my case they were free since I had a beat-up old housing and they work fine.

I do not have the stock housing anymore. I really want to get a performance velocity stack that is matched for the carb and better than stock. I am sure that any extra intake length even if supplied by the stock intake would be better though. I have no problem trying to fab something together, but if I am going to spend the time I want to get the best set-up I can. I would like to make my own, but I can only turn the outside of the cone on a lathe, I do not know how I would get to the inside. Not to mention the price of aluminum is rather high and I want to get dimensions that are optimum, not just wing it.

That is why I bought them...I figured, out $40 is much better than $100+.

I took a look in their on-line catalog and couldn't find them either. I guess they stopped selling them.

Bummer. I'll keep looking or I might just bite the bullet and make some if the price of aluminum comes down. Thanks for the help anyways

Bummer. I'll keep looking or I might just bite the bullet and make some if the price of aluminum comes down. Thanks for the help anyways

I will try to see if I have any old Black Dragon catalogs laying around. I have found that their catalog has more stuff than what they list online.

I will try to see if I have any old Black Dragon catalogs laying around. I have found that their catalog has more stuff than what they list online.

Sounds good. I tried searching again for their horns with no success. Maybe they lost the supplier in that last couple of years. No worries, I won't be looking to purchase them till after the holiday crunch anyways. Thanks for the help

• 2 months later...

Breathing a little life back in to this thread. Along the lines of the thinking above, I found this product from aptfast.com . They only deal with the british cars that ran SU carbs, but it should be interchangeable with the Hitachi knockoffs. And at 30 bucks a piece and compatibility with the K&N setup I am sold. More along the lines of a piece to "roll" the air over the 90 degree edge than a full blown longer velocity stack, but it should do the trick.

2xMSS4_KN.jpg

• 3 weeks later...