HybridZ

Distributor not timed/clocked properly?

I haven't posted here much, but I have an issue about timing. At TDC, piston at the top, air blown past my thumb, and zero mark indicated. The problem is my dizzy rotor is pointing at the drivers seat not #1 cylinder. My #1&2 (exhaust/intake) cam lobes are pointing like a V not straight up like some report. If I rotate the engine so the rotor points to #1 cyl, the timing mark doesn't indicate. I want to assume the dizzy is off a tooth or so, but it's been awhile since I've done car maint. Oh yea, the car is a '71 240z, F54 block w/flat top pistons, E31 head, E46 intake, & a twin magnetic 280z dizzy. The engine has only been started 2x in 3-4 years, those being within the last 2 weeks. It will start and idle (sort of), but sounds very rough. The carbs are at 3 turns out, but are another issue on hold for now. The PO turned the vehicle over to me as is, but says the engine ran prior to shut down for several years. Any thoughts comments as to if I'm on the right track would be much appreciated.

Your title should be more descriptive.

With that said, refer to your Shop manual for timing, oil pump shaft at the right position, spark plug in the right order.

In your case, TDC is on the compression stroke, take the valve cover off, spark plug out and put it at TDC. Now, check your distributor. If is is not right, take it out and see where the oil pump shaft is pointing. It should point at 11h30 if I am right...search to make sure. If the oil pump is at the wrong place, take it out and reposition it correctly (refer to the shop manual). Install everything.

Try to start it...if is is better, good, now time it. Check if it fires on every cylinders. Your carbs might also be dirty which would also cause it to run roughly.