HybridZ

Replacing inner fender wells

Sorry if this particular topic has been discussed already, but how should I go about replacing odd shaped panels such as inner fender wells? Replacing floor pans and doing general bondo work I can do, but something round like the fender wells have me scratching my head. I just got my first Z, a '72 and she needs some new panels and some frame repair. Turns out it had a little more cancer than I anticipated. I plan on stripping the car right down to the frame and floor panels and starting from there. I also have a lot of experience in fabrication and I am a certified welder for stick and tig. Thanks for any suggestions :2thumbs:

I have replaced the inner fender panel from the shock tower to firewall where the battery exploded on my 280ZXT, and half of the firewall.

I am glad that I bought a bead roller, because I was able to fabricate panels with the stiffening beads in them.

I borrowed a friends' sheet metal brake to bend a 90 degree flange, then 'slotted' the leg of the flange that had to be contoured for the inner fender [anel to 'roll' down fo the frame rail from the top of the fender.

A lot of vise work and bending to get the right contours, but well worth the effort.

I actually used 4 pieces - easier to work with several small pieces than 1 or 2 bigger - especially w/the bead roller.

I was lucky to have been able to cut a battery tray out of a donor car that my friend had - but I did have to fabricate the lower side support for it - matchibg the contours that were already there "think corrugation'...

If you take your time and don't rush anything, I'm sure you'll do fine.