HybridZ

6-speeds for a l28 turbo motor....

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

are there any 6-speeds out there that could work? i'm guessing a t56 wouldn't, but i could very well be wrong. just curious. thanks!

Guest Anonymous

Yup, your wrong.. :D Check with one of our members its one of the guys that runs a L motor with a T56 behind it in a 510. It involved a adapter plate as I recall I think he welded it to the old bellhousing but can't recall. Its been done though. smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greimann

Ditto what Scottie said. The 6th gear ratio on a T56 is .5. These transmissions were designed for achieving fuel economy in the F-body cars that had torquey V8's that could pull a .5 OD under 2000 RPM. With a built V8 or L6 motor that doesn't really come on the cam until after 2000 RPM, you need to be going 85 MPH before it makes sense to shift to 6th for fuel econmy reasons. If you are going for a performance run, you will never see 5th, let alone 6th.

Now if you want a Richmond 6-speed, then that is a different story. The ratios are closer together and 5th is 1:1 and 6th is .76. They are also $3000.

Guest Anonymous

Much cheaper to buy a 93 T56, it has a .62 OD and would work probably ok, its still rated at 400 ft/lbs and I believe personally thats real conservative. Remember though that 6th is a very deep overdrive and you will have to definitely downshift a time or to for any sort of pass even on the V8's the tranny came on originally, it was designed to up the mileage on a otherwise gas guzzling heavy car and it succeeded pretty well.

Regards,

Lone

It would help when you do stuff like put 3.90's or 4.11's in your turbo car.
This is kind of the point I was leading up to. More speeds and stiffing gearing is the wrong way to go for a turbo car. You are not tying to rev quickly to get to and stay in a narrow power band.

A lot of the small displacement turbo drag cars are starting to catch on. Dave Buschur recently broke into the 7s @ 170+ with his 2.0L stock-block DSM. Tranny of choice? A 2-spd Powerglide. 2.0L, for chrissakes!! Damn, thats scary.

Well here is my current setup and future plans for this Z. 2.8 block, E88 head, triple SK carbs, 78 5-speed, and 4.11 dif. I was just wondering what it takes to get a T56 to mate to a L6. I love the gearing on my car right now but want to change it when I work on the car next year. I would love to just change the fifth gear to get better top end speed and gas mileage, so can anyone let me know if this is possible. Any other ideas on what to do. :confused:

Thanks,

Marcos

Well I picked up a over a tenth of a second switching from 3.56 gears to 3.90's, and on a hot afternoon to boot!

Bushur runs a powerglide, I would guess, because it is small, bulletproof, and with a big stall puts him into boost when he launches. What is his final drive? I mean if he ran 3.56 gears in his final drive and ran the powerglide into the 7's, then that would be something. I bet he turns his motor way up there too.

I am not sure we are talking about an apples to apples comparison here. I think I would have run a better time than I ran (with 3.90's) except I kept banging the rev limiter in the first three gears. I was crossing the 1/4 mile line at about 6300 rpms, versus 5500 or so with the 3.56's.

But it could be my combination likes the gear, and when I change it, it won't.

FYI the T-56 has different gearing than the Borg Warner, and I think 3.90's in it would be comparable to 3.56's with the BW in the first couple of gears.

I think like this. A turbo engine is basically very high compression engine. High compression engines like gearing. I have heard all the arguements before, but I have never found a case where my personal turbo vehicle runs slower with more gear. I am sure there is a point where it will, but in the realm of what is available to me for diff's, I have sped up.

I also have a friend who has a turbo 280, and he had the borg warner with 3.90's in the back and switched to the Jap trans. His reasoning? He had to shift into 5th gear with the BW, but the Jap trans let him finish the 1/4 mile in 4th. I contend he slowed his car down. The main difference is the first 3 gears in the BW are shorter than the Jap trans.

Sorry, i've been busy. A T56 was just a thought. Does anyone know if the gearing can be changed on the 78 5-speed tranny...say swapping out the 5th gear to get the better highway economy and top end speed. Is there a shop in Southern CA that does that kind of work on Zcars, or should I use the later 5-speed. Would acceleration suffer that much.

Thanks,

Marcos

Guest Anonymous

Dan,

THANKS for the link, that thing is invaluable for time saving. I've been crunching numbers for ages, even designed an excel program to run the borg. malebitchslap.gifemo.gif That even calculates tire size. Excellent tool:2thumbs:

-980mak rockon.gif

• 3 years later...