HybridZ

E85

Zchef85

An update to this thread: It has been colder than usual here so I have been making changes to my cold start every day. It is almost finished. I am able to start on the first try and stay running down to 10F. I haven't got to try again below zero. It was -4F Monday and it started and stayed running with two tries, my car started that same way on gas. It is suppose to be -10F this weekend so I will try again. From my experience this last week, cold starting doesn't seem to be as bad as people make out with E85. The mileage OTOH is bad as expected, for the most part that can only be helped by raising the static CR.

^^^ Crybabies... it got down to the low 40's here the last couple days and it's expected to climb only to the high 70's the rest of the week.

Alright Mr. I live in an oversized state with warm weather, strange people, and no football teams worth mentioning much less being a fan of.:ass: Just wait till summer when you have eleventy billion degree heat and we barely break the ninetys, who's gonna cry then??:mparty:

An update to this thread: It has been colder than usual here so I have been making changes to my cold start every day. It is almost finished. I am able to start on the first try and stay running down to 10F. I haven't got to try again below zero. It was -4F Monday and it started and stayed running with two tries, my car started that same way on gas. It is suppose to be -10F this weekend so I will try again. From my experience this last week, cold starting doesn't seem to be as bad as people make out with E85. The mileage OTOH is bad as expected, for the most part that can only be helped by raising the static CR.

That's pretty impressive -nice job!

My car has already gone into storage, so for the most part I haven't worried too much about cold start in temps below ~40 degF. However this is still interesting to me - any wisdom you can impart? Did you have to tweak the timing as well as the fuel? Did you find you needed a large amount of enrichment at the lower temps?

We do break a hundred during the summer here in the Alamo city... sometimes for weeks at a time. Thankfully, it's never humid during the hot months. Nineties can seem like 110's if it's humid there though.:mrgreen:

Alright Mr. I live in an oversized state with warm weather, strange people, and no football teams worth mentioning much less being a fan of.:ass: Just wait till summer when you have eleventy billion degree heat and we barely break the ninetys, who's gonna cry then??:mparty:

However this is still interesting to me - any wisdom you can impart? Did you have to tweak the timing as well as the fuel? Did you find you needed a large amount of enrichment at the lower temps?

I am learning more everyday I start the car in the cold temps. The cranking pulsewidths are high IMO. I am getting around 18ms PW around zero degrees. That is with 850cc injectors on 2.0 4 cylinder. Once it is tuned in well I can post my cold start settings just for peoples curiosity.

The biggest problem I found is that in megasquirt the ASE has a few different modes(for hires code, should be same for MSI_extra 029y4 code). One is fixed then decay. I had been using that. The other is fixed MAP then decay. Without fixed MAP then MS immediately goes from atmospheric pressure to your VE setting at idle when the engine starts. That really lowers PW as soon as the engine starts. I had much better success by having it stay at fixed MAP for several seconds, then go to the VE table. THen it basically stays near the cranking PW when it starts running and that seems to fix the problem of cold soaking the engine overnight.

I think MSII has many more features that help cold starting.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this up from the dead,

but has anyone considered or heard of a similar setup to what you are talking about in this thread, with the dual feul systems, but possibly doing some sort of Single point injection along with a normal fuel... something similar to a CFI system in the 80s mustangs etc.

would you be able to put out enough ccs from only a few injectors? if so what would the possible boost gains be like with that?

someone mentioned from 18 to 26 psi, running full E85, so im guessing the boost gains would be minimal and not worth it?

this may have been covered already i was just thinking this might be an easier/cheaper mod, but would it be worth it... run some nitrous instead? hehe :)) :lol: