HybridZ

1/2 shaft left/right

John Scott

So why is my driver's side 1/2 shaft impossible to remove. Fully compressed it wouldn't clear. Had to remove mustache bar and front mount. I have two sets of 1/2 shafts. They all seem to be about the same length. Is there a diff in length? How much? Long one on the drivers side? Don't remember this much trouble going in.

John

72, but the 200 rear is from a 78 I believe. I grabbed the 1/2s from the donor car and put them in mine, never measured them. Of the four I have they all compress to the same length +/- 1/8" Extended I have one, original 240 r180 that is about 1" longer than the rest. Apparently I've been using the same shorter(when extended) on both sides. On the removal topic, I'd guess I was trying to shortcut the r&r and should have pulled the wheel stub side as well. Since you remove the bolts alltogether, unlike the fixed studs on the stub side, it would probably drop out. Maybe I'll remember this next time, hahahahaha!

John

Hey John, I think your right about bolting the half shafts to the diff first, then to the stub axles. I've got an R200 waiting to go in. When I'm around people who have done it I ask questions. Only problem is I forget faster than I learn as I get older. I think I remember someone saying that though.

Give it a try, bet it works.