HybridZ

Q45 diff swap component list

Blown77Z

I've been doing some research on swapping over a Q45 VLSD into my 77 280z. Here's a list of the components I've gathered with some questions I have to make sure I don't get the wrong parts.

Here's the 95 Infinity Q45 diff that I want (3.90 gears :mrgreen:). Notice the bolt hole pattern on the flanges..will that bolt up to some 280zxt axles or will the axles be to long with that setup?

Q45_Diff.jpg

Here's the mount kit for the Q45 from Modern Motorsports.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74

I will need a longer driveshaft as well. Will go back with JCI on that one.

ANY input on this setup is greatly appreciated !

I understand. I just read a little bit on diffs and the internals, so I know what you mean now :mrgreen:

So, should I steer clear of this one? Or ask the seller some questions about it?

EDIT:

Here's the link to the auction for it. Notice what vehicle it came from...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSAN-DIFFERENTIAL-240SX-R200-VLSD-S13-INFINITY-J30_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem230312396082QQitemZ230312396082QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

• Administrators

Ah, it’s a J-30 diff, NOT a Q-45! Thee is a BIG difference! Like comparing the R-180 to the R-200, not even close! The J-30 is mid size sedan powered by the VG30DE V-6. The Q-45 is a full size luxury sedan powered the VH45DE V-8! THE Q-45 R-200 is unique amongst the short nose R200’s and is coveted for its superior strength to the J-30, 240-SX and Z-32 R-200’s

The short nose R-200’s (other than the Q-45), are prone to busting the output flanges. They are not as strong as the long nose R-200 output flanges or the Q-45 R-200 out put flanges. The Q-45 R-200 shares the same output flanges with R-230, which is why the Q-45 R-200 is so much more desired for high out put applications.

This thread covers a little bit;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131008

The stickies at the top of the drive train section is chocked full of info on the various Nissan diffs.

• 3 months later...

blown77z also shared this bit of info with me. for some nice urethane bushings that fit perfectly in the q45 diff, order energy suspension part # 7.1108G [for the 90-96 300zx] and use the front diff mounts only, either sell, keep or toss the rear mounts it comes with.

i ordered mine thru autozone [i think $24-was less than anywhere else] and pulled the diff to do the install this weekend.

once the diff was out, i followed the directions from the energy sus kit. you remove the rubber from the large dome shaped washers and reuse them. then remove the stock rubber bushings. i used a hammer and large socket to drive the bushings [steel center, surrounded by rubber then steel outer] from the diff. pretty straight forward. tapped in the new bushings and reinstalled the diff.

looks like they'll work great. thought about pics but as it was pretty simple...i did not.

plus, the directions are easy to follow.