HybridZ

Miata seats installed!

ezzzzzzz

I just completed the install of a set of '94 Miata seats in my '71 240Z. It was relatively straight forward. I used the Miata rails in lieu of the Datsun pieces. This meant I didn't have to cut up or hammer in the bottom of the seats. The Miata rails have mounting feet at either end. The front were cut off just ahead of the aligning pins. The rear were removed by grinding/driving out the retaining rivets. I cut off the aligning pin on the rails and drilled out the existing hole to 5/16". I drilled 5/16" holes exactly 12 9/16" back on either rail. That placed the new hole between the existing rivet holes. These were filed square to accept a carriage bolt. That was all I needed to do to the miata rails. The seat brackets in the Z floorboard were slotted with a die grinder to allow for the wider bolt pattern of the Miata rails and centering the seats. I used fender washers to shore up the slotted areas. 1" thick Nylon spacers were made on the lathe to lift the rear of the Miata seats to reduce the bucket effect. The front brackets could have been modified to lower that mounting point 1" for the same effect too. The whole process, in the dark and cold of two nights, was about 6 hours start to finish. That included thinking it through to vacuuming up the carpet. The ride height seems to be about 1" above stock. That allows for a better view. The lumber support is reasonable with the seat base installed as is. It could be enhanced with an air bladder, if needed. At 5' 10", I still have about 3 1/2" clearance to the roof. I'm adjusting to these new seats but think I'll be very happy over the original. These are firm but comfortable. A big plus is easy access to the rear area now that the seats slide further forward and tilt forward as well! The only downside at this time is the cloth wear on the bolster of the driver's seat. I really don't want vinyl, leather or velour. A local upholstery shop (they do a lot of show cars) can redo these in quality cloth for about $500 a pair out the door. That will likely be the choice I'll make soon enough. I'll add photos later.

• 1 year later...

Crap, it's been a whole year now? HAHahahaha. With so many projects going it's just hard to keep up. I'll get a couple of shots and post them up. Heck, I've redone the whole interior since those seats were first installed. I'm sending a reminder to my E-mail right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I got off my arse and shot some pictures. The car is quite dirty but still presentable. The centerlines are on long-term loan. I've finally got the five lug stub axles and flanges completed so new wheels and zg flares are coming.

Datsun 240Z interior1 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

Datsun 240Z interior2 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

Datsun 240Z interior3 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

Datsun 240Z interior6 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

Datsun 240Z interior7 [640x480]_thumb.JPG