HybridZ

question about zg flares on a particular z

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/948427932.html

I'm lookin at this 280 on craigslist and wondering if zg flares would look right on this. The fenders already look flared. I understand the pictures are not the greatest but would they fit right on this car? In other words, if I put the zg flares on would they cover up the already flared fenders. IMO it looks like theres too much flare to cover it up. Any opinions would be appreciated? If need be I could ask the owner for better pictures.

So you want to bolt on the zg flares above the old flares where the Zg's cover the original flares? I dont see what your accomplishing.

Do you just want the Zg flares style or function? You could just bolt the zg flare on where the original flares are and you have the look and functionality (though it may not cover all of it)It would be incredibly stupid looking and ricery but it would work.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but if you're going to buy that car, you've got more to be concerned with than fitting a new set of flares. According to the ad, it's been used to race and the engine is about to go out. Concentrate on getting the car in a state of reliability first.

If you're going to install ZG flares, do it properly - cut, bend and weld. Read through Austin's thread on how to do it properly and ask yourself if it's worth the work to remove what's already there and do it properly.

You said yourself you want the function, not just style. That would include the proper set of wide wheels to take advantage of the flares, and proper installation.

steady.......

He was trying to help. We've all seen lots of projects gone out the window (almost icluding my own) because people tried to make it look good before working properly. There was no way to derive what your intentions with the advertised car in your first post, so he was giving you the advice you were looking for.

That car has potential, but as stated, you would have to cut out the flares already on the car, and they appear to be done fairly well. In any case, its your time, and your money so don't let the internet stop you if you want to tackle it.

wow thanks for telling me something I don't know. you automatically assume that my main concern is the body because I asked a question about the fenders.

Well you obviously couldnt tell that a small zg flare wont cover a large molded flare. How does he know youll be concerned about the drivetrain/brakes/suspension?

With the given information it was a pretty valid response.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/948427932.html

I'm lookin at this 280 on craigslist and wondering if zg flares would look right on this. The fenders already look flared. I understand the pictures are not the greatest but would they fit right on this car? In other words, if I put the zg flares on would they cover up the already flared fenders. IMO it looks like theres too much flare to cover it up. Any opinions would be appreciated? If need be I could ask the owner for better pictures.

Well you obviously couldnt tell that a small zg flare wont cover a large molded flare. How does he know youll be concerned about the drivetrain/brakes/suspension?

With the given information it was a pretty valid response.

RBZ: basically that car has more work done to the molded flare, and getting a ZG flare on there would be more work than putting on ZG flares on a stock quarter panel. There's more material removed and added on the existing flare than there would be with ZG, so it'd be even more work.

That being said, those are pretty nice flares in my opinion, but it would be more work for you than going with a stock Z.

wow thanks for telling me something I don't know. you automatically assume that my main concern is the body because I asked a question about the fenders.

I believe I directly addressed the question you asked, which was whether or not ZG flares would fit properly / look 'right' on the car. The answer, basically, is no.

...however, a straight up 'No' answer would be rather curt and rude, don't you think? Better to point out that the current flares would need to be removed and ZG flares be installed properly in order for them to fit and look right. Pardon me for looking out for your best interests and wanting to point you in the right direction. I'll refrain from doing so in the future.