HybridZ

Bmw Vlsd

240hoke

Has anyone giving much thought into using a BMW differential?

One of my buddies is into BMW's and we have pulled several units from the junkyard. These things come in lots of ratios and the are not hard to find. They are VLSD and come in 188 and 210mm.

They have 32 spline stub axles that are very beefy, the cv joints are flange type both inboard and outboard.

Another neat thing is a single bolt mounting system in the front making for a super easy front mount. They also have as a hall effect speed sensor built into them so electronic tach hookup would be a snap. It probably is less practical then the short nose r200 since there are lots of gear sets available for those diff's but this could be a more economical approach.

Here are a couple pictures of the e34 3.9 188mm unit I have in my garage, I picked it up for 60 bucks, they go for 300-400 cleaned up online but are plentiful in the junkyard. I also have a 3.15 210mm unit Im just about done cleaning up.

3090565395_086eff128c.jpg

3090555805_36d4a8c1c9.jpg

Anyhow Ive got these things here I can take some measurements and whatnot for the curious. Or yall can just tell me Im stupid..

I need to do some more digging but I believe they are available from the 2.9ish range all the way to 4.2ish. Technical I know, Ill post more info as I do research.

make that 2.4 and 2.6 to 4.6

I have to say i thought about it giving low gear rartios.. haha but no more than that !

240hoke. Coming from experience, I own a 96 328is, the single bolt mount in front is not a plus. The bolt tends to snap. I've snapped 3 myself. A company called active autowerke has had to make a brace so that people with some power do not snap the front allignment bolt. If u can somehow use the internals that would be great because they are extremly strong, just not the pumpkin. I have a spare open 3.15 if anyone is intrested and does not want to heed my warning.

Thats pretty impressive, point taken. How much power were you putting down?

Ive had a 93 325is and a 01 330ci, both with stock engines and both which I drove wayy to hard. The only problems I had were those stupid guibo's, I absolutely shredded one in my 325is. I still don't think mounting it would be an issue at all though as the single bolt design is built into the side bracket, so a new bracket could be made if need be. And just for clarification here I'm not thinking about doing this swap I just had these things and thought I would through the idea out there for others.