HybridZ

1985 300ZXT Automatic questions

Guest fdc_guy

Guest fdc_guy

Hi,

I am a noob, I am part of http://www.utahnissans.com and I was referred over here to ask this question.

My 300ZXT is an automatic and the transmission is dying, it currently will not shift past 2nd and slips into neutral during boost. So I have been searching high and low for a new or used tranny that will work with my car and will not cause me to get castrated by the woman. I wanted to know if the turbo transmission from a Z32 would work or if any of you knew of a good way to get my current transmission repaired at a decent cost.

I look forward to any and all information you can provide.

Thanks.

Well as you now know the Jatco Automatic Transmissions in the Z31 are very weak and are prone to failure if not well maintained and or abused in any way. I and well as most of the members here will tell you to swap it to a manual model as they are stronger and are more reliable. As for the Z32 transmission, it will not fit without some major modification.

Guest fdc_guy
Well as you now know the Jatco Automatic Transmissions in the Z31 are very weak and are prone to failure if not well maintained and or abused in any way. I and well as most of the members here will tell you to swap it to a manual model as they are stronger and are more reliable. As for the Z32 transmission, it will not fit without some major modification.

Is there a write-up on doing the swap for these cars? would it be cheaper to buy a manual transmission and all the stuff to do the swap than to just pay the 750 for one to get delivered to my doorstep and just bolt it in?

Your best bet is to find a wrecked z31 in not too wrecked condition with 5 speed, engine. then you can do the swap from slushbox to 5 speed and all the parts you need will be there. I got one for $500. And there were lots of other parts I needed too (or at least am keeping in case). I sure wouldn't put another slushbox in there altho probably last the remaining life of the car. Like driving a stick I'm old school but paddle shifters would be nice.