HybridZ

Drop-in Camshafts: Easy Cam Vs. Poncam

zilvia_gt

I was just wondering why most RB engines prefer the Tomei Poncam (or have it installed) instead of the Greddy Easy Cams? Given their relatively close lift 9.1 vs. 9.15, wouldn't the Easy Cams provide more power since it has more duration? Both are drop in camshafts without additional valvetrain modifications and in most case, the Greddy's are cheaper. Could it be the camshaft (lobe) design itself or quality; that most people prefer the Tomei over Greddy?

Easy Cam Available Spec:

Option 1) IN 256-9.1 / EX 256-9.1

Option 2) IN 264-9.1 / EX 264-9.1

Tomei Poncam Type A:

IN 260-9.15 / EX 252-9.15

Tomei Poncam Type B:

IN 260-9.15 / EX 260/-9.15

On a side note: HKS also makes drop cams, their Step 1's in the following available specs:

Intake:

1) 256 Duration 8.7mm Lift

2) 264 Duration 8.7mm Lift

3) 272 Duration 8.7mm Lift

Exhaust:

1) 256 Duration 8.7mm Lift

2) 264 Duration 8.7mm Lift

3) 272 Duration 8.7mm Lift

Larry @ Engine Dynamics tipped me off, and made note about the ramp-rate on the Tomei's being more linear and less peaky than the other cam manufacturers. This reduces valvetrain wear, and for the .05 of lift and 4 degrees of duration sacrifice, some see the Tomei name as a worthy sacrifice in the name of "quality/R&D".

I believe I have a set of easy cams in 264 trim from japan on their way soon. so we'll see what they look like.

You should write a comparison once they get here. So I guess it does come down to the lobe designs and centerline of the camshafts. I guess the performance trade-offs are minimal then. Greddy cams have more duration, but Tomei cams have higher lift. I also assume the shorter duration on the Tomei would give a better idle? Still, the fact that the greddy cams are made to be drop-in cams, I would imagine that since they have lower lift than the Tomei, the wear-n-tear on the valvetrain wouldn't be too different from the Tomei either.

Larry @ Engine Dynamics tipped me off, and made note about the ramp-rate on the Tomei's being more linear and less peaky than the other cam manufacturers. This reduces valvetrain wear, and for the .05 of lift and 4 degrees of duration sacrifice, some see the Tomei name as a worthy sacrifice in the name of "quality/R&D".

I believe I have a set of easy cams in 264 trim from japan on their way soon. so we'll see what they look like.