HybridZ

3.0L heads on 3.5L bottom end????

DRZ man

Non, its pretty pointless. I believe most people do it to get around using the 350z wiring.. I was under the impression the Maxima guys did it to keep there factory wiring and run the larger bottom end.

The 350z wiring is not hard to hook up as long as you can read electrical schematics and if your putting it in a Z why change? I think doing a head swap would be more aggravating.

Just my 2 cents though.

Non, its pretty pointless. I believe most people do it to get around using the 350z wiring.. I was under the impression the Maxima guys did it to keep there factory wiring and run the larger bottom end.

The 350z wiring is not hard to hook up as long as you can read electrical schematics and if your putting it in a Z why change? I think doing a head swap would be more aggravating.

Just my 2 cents though.

I agree 100% with you, there is no point to this, but I have a 3.0l and a 3.5l, but my plan was install the 3.0l timing chain cover on the 3.5l and megasquirt, I thought it would be cheaper plus I have a megasquirt.

I agree 100% with you, there is no point to this, but I have a 3.0l and a 3.5l, but my plan was install the 3.0l timing chain cover on the 3.5l and megasquirt, I thought it would be cheaper plus I have a megasquirt.

If you have the 350Z harness and ECU, I would go that route. The time it will take you to build a MS harness, debug it, tune it, etc. is not worth it. In the end you have something that will never run as good as a stock 350Z. Those Nissan engineers are pretty sharp, and they spend way more time on a dyno and test track than any of us ever will.

Also, if you disable the variable valve timing you will loose that nice flat torque curve the VQ35 has. Again, Nissan has done the work for you,.

Sell your Megasquirt and pickup a 350Z ECU and harness.

Pete

If you have the 350Z harness and ECU, I would go that route. The time it will take you to build a MS harness, debug it, tune it, etc. is not worth it. In the end you have something that will never run as good as a stock 350Z. Those Nissan engineers are pretty sharp, and they spend way more time on a dyno and test track than any of us ever will.

Also, if you disable the variable valve timing you will loose that nice flat torque curve the VQ35 has. Again, Nissan has done the work for you,.

Sell your Megasquirt and pickup a 350Z ECU and harness.

Pete

Yeah, I see your point, I can get a harness for good price, but dont you need BCM, NATS ANT, body harness, and ECU make this run??? thats where the trouble starts, I will have to find everything else to make it work.

Check on the 350z boards for harnesses. BCM's, harnesses, and everything are not hard to find...ECU might be though. Check with your local late model wrecking yards as well. They will probably want way to much but you can usually bargain them down.

Z-ya is spot on, I think its near impossible to match factory tuning unless you have a lot of cash for dyno time, and by a lot i mean A LOT. Its easy to tune for WOT but getting the drivability and all the tables right is where the factory stuff is so good. I plan to run UTEC with the factory setup whenever I go turbo or do any big engine mods.

I plan to run UTEC with the factory setup whenever I go turbo or do any big engine mods.

Austin,

A friend of mine has installed at least 30 GReddy E-Manage units in 350Zs. They have an adapter harness that hooks it in with the factory ECU without any wire cutting or splicing. He has tuned many 400+HP turbo and supercharged 350Zs using an E-Manage.

Here is a quote from him on his latest NA 350Z project:

It is quite amazing how rare it is for use to tune a normally aspirate Nissan 350Z. Most of the ones that come our way have mixtures of turbos and superchargers but today we got a good chance to see what the motor can do in its original aspiration. The Z had a large number of powertrain mods, intake, exhaust, test pipes, plenum spacers etc. so we had a hunch that it was probably running on the lean side. Scott @ Ballistic Motorsports installed a GReddy e-Manage Ultimate and then the fun began. We did some baselines first and our fears were realised by some leaner than 15:1 air fuel ratios. The dotted line above shows the baseline runs and how the torque delivery was only high between 4500 rpm and 6000 rpm. We did a full tune on the Z with fantastic mid range improvements, some 70 lbft and 50 hp and added an extra 2000 rpm to the torque band! These sort of increases are only normally seen with forced induction but the e-Manage Ultimate did us proud today, with an end result of nearly 300 whp.

http://www.holyrollerdyno.com/Holyroller_Dyno_Library/Downloads_files/Media/Picture%204/Picture%204.jpg?disposition=download

Pretty impressive improvements to the midrange torque...

Pete

Would the 3.0 heads flow more than the 3.5 heads?

And would the 3.0 cams be more aggressive than the 3.5 cams, or vice versa?

Just wondering if there is actual benefits to this or any part of it.

they actually dont flow more, and the cams are not more agressive, so on the other hand what you guys think about the haltech platinum???

• 4 weeks later...