HybridZ

Engine hunts at warm idle

Hello all, I've looked through a lot of these threads, but everyone seems to have another issue that goes along with the hunting. However, my new 77' 280Z runs great. Starts right up, idles high until it's warm, it's all good.

BUT once it's warm, it's hunting(may technically be a surge) around 500-700rpms. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter and ran sea foam already, but no cigar. It revs fine, plently of power off the line and at speed.

I have 2 days off and am too sore to keep skiing, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated and will be tested asap. Thanks. Zim.

OK, so I took the EGR valve and the valve right next to it off, they look fine, EGR valve moves freely. The hoses are in good shape. I checked the timing, but could only get it down to 15, Chilton's says it should be at 10. The spark plugs and wires are new and in good shape.

The car idles great at 900 rpms, but suddenly drops to the 500-700 rpm range a little after start-up and continues in a loping or hunting condition. I keep thinking that I can hear a leak on the drivers side near the EGR valve, but used half a bottle of soap and couldn't find anything.

Any idea's?

Well, I also have the same problem, including a sound by the injector by the firewall (if that is #6 then yes), just to tell you you are also not alone.. Ill try some troubleshooting myself. I previously had a engine dying problem, and it has fixed itself the more I drive, so could just be dirt for me. Ill also have to completely clean the intake out. And I believe I don't have an egr valve.