HybridZ

Water/Meth Injection on RB's

Canadianz

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with water or meth kits on various RB engines. I know BigPhil was using one on his L28 for a bit, just wondering is anyone uses it on the RB's. As well knowing that alcohol is corrosive, does it pose a threat to the components downsteam if say one was spraying just after the TB ? I was thinking of using it more as insurance if I up the boost a bit.

Thanks

Chris

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with water or meth kits on various RB engines. I know BigPhil was using one on his L28 for a bit, just wondering is anyone uses it on the RB's. As well knowing that alcohol is corrosive, does it pose a threat to the components downsteam if say one was spraying just after the TB ? I was thinking of using it more as insurance if I up the boost a bit.

Thanks

Chris

I run an AEM Water Methanol kit in my RB26 powered Z...It is a progressive kit and I use 50/50 mix myself. It is a great kit, easy to install and has made a noticeable difference in intake temps allowing for more boost/timing in my case. As far as threat to components downstream I have done quite a bit of research and the consensus appears to be that there is no threat. Take a look on Turbobuick.com. Lots of great threads about meth injection.

I ran 50/50 mix on my L28ET with great results prior to installing inter cooler. After the IC install, left the injection system operatiing with same injection point, just upstream of TB which of course is downstream of the IC. Kept the injection for the same reason you stated; insurance. Ran into an unusal problem. Had a valve hang up. Took the head off and found several valves stems had rust and one was totally jamed. So disconnected the injection. Unscientific guess is that the much cooler air charge with the IC installed, failed to vapourize the water alc mix.

They do not recommend injecting upstream of the the IC, not sure why. I guess I should have reduced the amount of injection in three ways: Reduce the injection pressure, install more restrictive nozzle, and raise the boost pressure trigger to a higher level. Was set to come on at 6 PSI and I boost to 15 PSI. But after that nasty problem, am just not using the injection any longer. I like the water injection concept. Would use it again, but not unless I had stainless valves, and again would reduce the amount of injection volume considerably.

I was also told that the AEM setup takes the guess work out of making this an almost passive modification that requires little to know driver intervention.

my turbo rebuilder stated that he's tried to use other kits and make his own but none quite measured up to AEM, and they offer the same kit with two tank sizes to fit your needs.