HybridZ

Hello I'm new here is my 280z

Hello My name is Adam I'm in Newtown CT but I go to school in pueblo CO. I daily drive a Nissan 92 240sx. I have always wanted a z and finally got the chance to pick on up.

Oddly enough me and my father were at our body shop where his car was getting a new paint job and some how we got started talking about z's. The guy had failed to mention that he had one sitting out back for a few years now. Turns out it was his sons and he never got around to working on it. The guy wanted it out of there so we made him an offer of 1500. He took it and we got the z.

Its in pretty good shape and we have all the chrome trim and the bumper just have to pick them up. I'm extremely excited and can't wait to get to work on her. First area is to get it running which from what I was told is just some clogged injectors. After which I will most likely put in a new clutch and slave cylinder. The pedal is way to soft. Other than that it is going to need some rust repair which wont get started till late spring.

Here are the pics:

1218081248.jpg

1124081558.jpg

1124081622.jpg

1124081625b.jpg

DSC03099.jpg

DSC03100.jpg

Yea I lent my camera to my girlfriend and she broke it so it wont be for a while.

As far as the engine I'm not to sure. I have an sr20 in my 240 had that for 3 years now so i may keep the l28 or do a turbo swap. There is a guy on my 240sx forum that has one locally. but it will be a long term build so I was thinking of maybe doing a ka. Ha who knows I need to look around here and get some ideas. I'd like to turbo, ls1 looks like fun but I def don't have the money.

Got any suggestions?

Easy road, go in stages, sticking with an L series, staying modest for now but planning for good times ahead:

Drive your car as it runs. While doing that, get a P90 head. Whatever (2.8L and later) bottom end you have will work, you can choose after researching if you want, but the P90 is the simple good way to go here.

Enjoy your Z, possibly while upgrading suspension and/or fuel intake system (ie, install megasquirt somewhere along the line) If you want to build a fun motor before turboing, get some flat top pistons, build a bottom end, and have your P90 set up on it. Stock compression, fresh build, good EFI is a fun motor.

So you eventually get tired of your nice newness and want nice turbo goodness. Find an exhaust manifold and snail, get new pistons if necessary (How modest were you before? how low can you keep the boost? remember boost x static compression, lower boost with more compression isnt always a bad thing) Install pistons as needed, retune the EFI, continue dark spiral to approach 400 horsepower without buying much more than a stock shortblock and head, pistons, an EFI system, a turbo header and turbo with plumbing.

Yah, sure theres camshafts somewhere in there, that will probly need to be chosen twice along this route, and buying two sets of pistons sounds iffy... but if you're lucky enough to find the right pieces at the right times, things can come together ridiculously cheap. It is ALL in the EFI.