HybridZ

Fuse question, box.

Well I just got my 72 240z running today and pretty happy but I am unsure as to how the fuse box fuse's are setup. I dont have a book or a panel showing how they should be. I checked all the ones there and some were blown and had a couple back up ones, put in place but from what I can tell I know which one is my my gas meter fuse but unsure as to the rest. I also do not have working headlamps or tail lights, did have working signals but seemed a fuse had blown or broke when checking them. The fan motor and cig. lighter do work, so I know its mostly blown fuse's for the rest.

Do you guys have a link to a picture or a diagram showing how the fuse box is supposed to be setup.

Thanx in advance, means alot.

I'm not sure how legal this is, but I got it from a web site offering about 20 different FREE service manuals. This is the original 240z Datsun/Nissan Service Manual in PDF form. I can't recall that link, so you can get it from my server.

THEY CLAIMED THEY HAD LEGAL RIGHTS TO GIVE IT AWAY

http://qwildurn.game-host.org:8080/temp/73_datsun_240z.zip

I don't know how long I will keep available.

It's only about 40 megs. Took me about 20 minutes to download it. You should be able to get it from me in less than 5 minutes. I would be interested in your download time.

Are you referring to this website?

http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

The same one that is referenced in the Downloads section of HybridZ?

Autozone.com has free repair guides and wiring diagrams available online as well.

-edit- I just looked and the autozone one doesn't show the fusebox wiring. I know there is one for a '72 available on the internet that clearly shows the fusebox because I have it saved to my hard drive.

-edit #2- Aha! Found it. Atlantic Z club has the one I was referencing in edit #1.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/72_240z_wiring.pdf

-edit- I just looked and the autozone one doesn't show the fusebox wiring. I know there is one for a '72 available on the internet that clearly shows the fusebox because I have it saved to my hard drive.

-edit #2- Aha! Found it. Atlantic Z club has the one I was referencing in edit #1.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...40z_wiring.pdf

If you can find that could you e-mail it to me or if not to much trouble take a picture of the fuse box and label each fuse in paint/photoshop program?

Thanx in advance.

Taking a picture of my fuse box cover is on my list of things to do one of these days. My car didn't come with one when I bought it, but I got lucky and found one in good nick on a '73 in a junkyard.

I've got a picture saved of a NOS fuse box with cover, but it's too low quality to make out the labels on the cover though.

We have a 73 240z. That's my only experience with the Z Car. The web site offered a few other service manuals for the Z, but all were for newer models. After breezing through this 1973 240z manual, it seems to cover all 240's from 70 to 73. Most service manuals do try to cover as many years as they can until there is enough of a change that forces them to re-write.

Our car is not stored at my home, next time I go out to my brother's house (probably this Saturday), I'll take a few pictures. The dash and wiring are apart still and I can get some good shots. Our 73 is still stock and in good order.

I found the source of my manual: http://carfiche.com/manuals023/cars/

1.5 minutes download? Nice.

We had to get a second motor for our 73. We ended up with a 72 motor (so we were told by the seller). So far, we have found that there are some differences. The carbs, intake manifolds, throttle linkages, and exhaust manifold are different. We couldn't just mix and match at will. We had to use the linkage, intake manifolds and Round Tops as a set. Not to mention that the 73 has more EPA crap as mandated by the FED's. And we live in So Cal, so we get heavy-duty EPA crap.:burnout:But that's all gone now:emo:

This won't effect your wiring. I expect the wiring to be the same. Very minimalist.

It seems that you don't really need these pics any more, but I'll post them anyway. Hover over the pics to see the file names.

1. 73_fuse_cover_1 : Shows the printing that lists what each fuse controls. Probably the best shot of 4. Please note the tab in the top center that goes in the notch of the box.
  2. 73_fuse_cover_2 : Just a different angle. The printing is hard to read.
  3. 73_fuse_cover_3 : Another angle to try and capture the hard to read printing.
  4. 73_fuse_cover_4 : The white or silver is part of the fuse bog cover.
  5. 73_fuse_box_front : The front of the fuse box. Please note the wires exit the top near the notch.
  6. 73_fuse_box_back : The back side of the fuse box. Looks factory still.
  7. 73_fuse_box_connectors : Just the wire connections that plug the fuse box to the wire harness. The single wire with in-line-fuse looping to the right of this shot is the electric fuel pump fuse. We replaced the damaged fuse holder with a newer style. I think this was a last minute add-on at the factory to add an electric fuel pump for the late model 73 240z.
  8. 73_fuse_box_wires : The fuse box hanging from the wires. The wires are routed into the center console. The box mounts on the drive shaft tunnel where the center console meets the under-dash just below the radio and is easily accessible.
  9. 73_fuse_box_complete : The cover mounted to the fuse box.

We have the dash and center console removed or out of the car while we are fixing various old-age problems and setting up for the track. Our wiring seems to be original and un-damaged. The switches and connections are all dirty. As we take apart and re-connect the different connectors, the assortment of things start to work again.

Please note: The single white 20 gage wire is not factory nor going into the fuse box. We added it for the electric fan and switch.

We will put the under-dash and center console back together when we feel we are done with all the little things.

73_fuse_box_back_thumb.jpg

73_fuse_box_complete_thumb.jpg

73_fuse_box_connectors_thumb.jpg

73_fuse_box_front_thumb.jpg

73_fuse_wires_thumb.jpg

73_fuse_cover_1_thumb.jpg

73_fuse_cover_2_thumb.jpg

73_fuse_cover_3_thumb.jpg

73_fuse_cover_4_thumb.jpg

Hey Arn, the harness seems fine, only things not working ATM is the headlights (I think they are blown) cause they are pluged up and BN fuse's and the clock doesnt work. Not sure why tho.. Do you have a fuse box cover by any chance?

I do not have a cover. Have you tried the high beams? Put a meter or test light at the headlights? The combo switch could have issues, I may have a working one for you, from a 73. Did you actually ever see the clock work? I bet that 60% of S30's don't have a working clock.

Very cool Sir, thank you for those pics anyhow. From the way you were talking it sounds like you are doing a FULL resto; like I, VERY NICE!

Well, that's not what we started out to do, but in the end, it seems we are. All we really wanted was a fun, affordable track-car with some potential. The 240z seemed to fit that. I looked around until I found one in good shape. No rust, no crash damage and no cheap mods to undo. Being 35 years old and having sat for 10 years meant that all the rubber was shot. And there was an oil problem that burned up the cam. But most of that seems to be sorted out now. Hopefully we can be on the track 24-25 Jan 09 for the cars virgin run. We hope the do a track event every 3 months while fixing and modifying between events. For now, she is stock and street legal. Some track time will reveal her worst flaws so we can work on those first. If there is no "worst problem", then suspension mods would be my focal point before more horsepower. Can't take advantage of extra horsepower if the tires can't hook-up in the turns.