HybridZ

To Many Diff's AAAAAaaaaaAAAAAA

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Last week, my bother in Law was tring to help me out in rebuilding my 76 28L..I've replaced the motor with a 280zx FI non-turbo and 5 speed trans and now was the time to pull the 3.54 rear end... Ok..now the problem...He droped off 6 rear ends in the garage..after opening them up and finding 39:10 stamped on the rings (3.9 rear), But one stood by itself, in the far corner. it had a stamp of 39:11 on it's ring...what is it? is it better then the 39:10?

Thanks....

Guest Anonymous

39 / 11 = 3.54 its a pretty common ratio and might work ok for you. I'm not sure on turbo cars (which I think can use a bit taller gearing because of the added midrange torque), on N/A cars most seem to feel the 3.90's give more off the line quickness. *shrug* I'm not sure how they feel about 3.90's in a turbo car. I'm not sure one is better than another, just geared a bit different, the 3.54 will give more top end for sure.

Regards,

Lone

Originally posted by LoneInAZ:

39 / 11 = 3.54 its a pretty common ratio and might work ok for you. I'm not sure on turbo cars (which I think can use a bit taller gearing because of the added midrange torque), on N/A cars most seem to feel the 3.90's give more off the line quickness. *shrug* I'm not sure how they feel about 3.90's in a turbo car. I'm not sure one is better than another, just geared a bit different, the 3.54 will give more top end for sure.

Regards,

Lone

Lone, I have a turbocharge Z; if I had a choice I go with the 3.54. I wouldn't want to waste the torque the turbo gives with the short revs.

The 280ZXT's came with the 3.54 gear.

With the torque of the GN setup, Scottie is using a 3.07 in his corvette rear (if memory serves).

I would use the 3.54.