HybridZ

1982 Power steering rack questions.

Old Z Guy

I am replacing a torn left boot.

1. Should I grease the ball joint and gear teeth on the shaft before I install the new boot? ( Like I did on the CV axle boot replacement)

2. What is the function of the plastic tube connected between the left and right boot on the rack?

Thank you

I would think that some fresh grease is always a good idea when replacing a torn boot. Check your inner tie rod end for wear while you're in there. If the boot has been torn for significant length of time the grease could be washed out of the inner rod end. I recently had to do the same thing and the inner was trashed (clunk, clunk, clunk)

I believe the hose between the two boots is simply to allow the air in the collapsing boot to transfer to the expanding side when the wheels are turned while keeping the system sealed.

I would think that some fresh grease is always a good idea when replacing a torn boot. Check your inner tie rod end for wear while you're in there. If the boot has been torn for significant length of time the grease could be washed out of the inner rod end. I recently had to do the same thing and the inner was trashed (clunk, clunk, clunk)

I believe the hose between the two boots is simply to allow the air in the collapsing boot to transfer to the expanding side when the wheels are turned while keeping the system sealed.

Thanks

I am doing a complete restoration so the rack in on my bench. I plan to replace the tie rods and ball joints.

Suspentionremoval82ZXT001.jpg