HybridZ

Flat tops with an N42

BunnySlippers

So I'm in the process of rebuilding an L28 (N42 block and head) That ran out of oil and cooked the #6 rod to the crank. I'm going to be picking up a crank, and rod + piston assembly from a junkyard soon. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to pick up a whole set of pistons and rods from an 81-83 while I'm there..

I'm looking for information on this piston swap. Would I have to run high octane? Is there re-tuning involved? etc, etc, etc.

Basically I just want any and all info on this set up from people that have had experience with it.

Thanks much.

Flattops on an N42 will net around a ~10.5:1 compression ratio using a stock head gasket. Although the stock EFI can probably handle this on high octane with a bit of tuning it would be very picky about fuel choices and probably ping bad in the upper end. Using 87 octane it'll blow out the head gasket around the number 5 and 6 pistons (I know this from experience). Grab up a 2mm head gasket (if you can find one) and the compression drops to ~9.5:1. You'll still require a retune and high octane, but it shouldn't be as picky or as prone to pinging in the upper rpm range. If you would like some fun (albeit reasonable) power to play with throw in a mild cam, 2mm head gasket, MegaSquirt and a header with those flattops. All in all you can get something fun to drive with a bit of kick and upgradeability for less than $1000 in parts.

MS-II kit ~$250 (build it yourself and learn something)

DIY Autotune Harness ~$70

Mild Cam ~$300

2mm Head Gasket ~$160

Pistons and Rods ~$100

Time spent learning and building your car ~$Priceless.

I have the same setup you are describing. I didn't really have to change much on the tune with the stock ECU just to get mine driving. I just ran 93 octane, and retarded the timing just a tad. Worked well for daily driving.

That held me over until I got a mid sized cam, megasquirt, and advanced the timing. Now the engine is making some decent power.