HybridZ

OK, what did i do wrong?/ AT to MT swap

Guest Paul Felker

Guest Paul Felker

Hello everyone, heres my next problem. First let me explain what im doing. I swaped the automatic trans for a T-5. 240mm flywheel resurfaced, new clutch pressureplate, throwout bearing, master and slave cylinders, shortened drive shaft, and all of that fun stuff. OK now the problem, i got it all together finally, i start it up and it shakes like crazy!!!!! bonk.gifbonk.gif where did i go wrong. now i was wondering does the fly wheel only go on one way?? cause i just put in up there and put the bolts in and tightened it down, (yes i took the spacer off the end of the crank!!)so what im saying is there any way i screwed that part up or what?? I never drove this car even with the automatic, when i first bought this car it had a broken input shaft and the flexplate was all cracked up and acouple of other parts were broken but it was all in the automatic trans mission bellhousing. When i start it up i dont here any knocks, ticks , or rattles coming from the motor, its rebuilt with 6000 mikes on it, so what did i do wrong almost 2 weeks and 700. 00 bucks to just do this swap this is not very engourging. I really want to drive this car soon, it's starting to look pretty bad ass, with new wheels, msa aero front air dam the matching rear skirt, and a whole slew of stuff, so guys please help me out here OK?? thanks 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif guys 2thumbs.gif

When you put the assembly together, did you use a centering tool to make sure it was all in phase and perfectly aligned? I have to read your post again, but you didn't mention it, so I'm just wondering. If you neglected to do so, they are very cheap--this still involved removing the clutch assembly to remount it. My brain is foggy since it's been years since I have done this; perhaps someone else has some ideas?

Davy

Guest Paul Felker

Yes i used the centering tool supplied in the kit it all went together smoothly. i was also wondering, would it make a difference if the motor(and car) is a 78 and the turbo flywheel im using is from an 82, that's where i got the flywheel and the T-5 out of, an 82 turbo z? puke.gif

The driveshaft could also be imbalanced.

Before pulling the trans to check the flywheel; try pulling the driveshaft and clocking it 180 degrees. AND, before putting the driveshaft back on-make sure it has new U-Joints.

If this doesnt help then your problem most likely lies in the flywheel balance relative to your engine.

Another possibility is the flywheel and the driveshaft are just enough imbalanced to cause an excessive imbalance when coupled together.

I dont know enough about the Inline 6/and Turbo's; but usually the flywheels for standards only have the bolt holes for the clutches on one side (dont they?).

Would it also matter if you grabbed the flywheel from a turbo 6 to also grab the harmonic balancer from that same engine? I dont know if the turbo 6'ers are or are not balanced in the same manner as the n/a 6'ers.

Just my thoughts: more questions than answers.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Paul Felker

i never got to drive it yet so the driveshaft being out of balence isn't the problem. thanks for the replys guys, please keep them coming hail.gif

My thought is something is loose.

My first paragraphs are addressing the trans swap. The second addresses other issues.

Assuming you changed nothing on the motor, and only swapped the tranny/etc.. unfortunatly, I seriously doubt it is anything internal to the tranny, so that means pulling the T5 again and re-checking torque on ALL the bolts. You said 240mm flywheel, so I assume you switched the whole shebang from a turbo motor. did you lighten the flywheel in the process? If so, and you find everything is bolted correctly, while you have it back apart, I would take the flywheel to another shop and have them check the balance of the assembly. I would also check the clutch/pressure plate assy to ensure nothing came apart/loose or is now missing.

Ok, lets assume all of that is ok. Sure the motor starts up fine, but you have never driven it before, so I assume you had never started it either. Check the condtion of the front balancer/pulley. For all you know, the motor may be toast. If something happend to break the input shaft of the auto and break the flex plate, I would imagine some serious force got back into the motor. Before I describe this next option for checking things, I give this disclaimer. If you do this, you assume ALL responsiblity for anything that happens to your car. That being said, when you have the tranny completely removed,(flywheel, etc.. as well). Start it up again. You will have to/need to put a jack of some kind under the back portion of the engine. However, b/c you had some serious shaking before, it is very possible that it is still there, and once you start the motor, it may shake right off the jack stand. Yes, the two motor mounts will hold it, but that is a lot of stress on those two small rubber mounts, and one may break loose. See why I put a disclaimer at the beginning? I would only attemt this if you are sure it has nothing at all to do with the tranny and run out of options. Even then, I would explore some other choices as well.

Bottom line, you have to drop the tranny and check to see if anything is loose/ not torqued.

-Bob H