HybridZ

Battery safe in interior?

burntread

Does anyone know of specific dangers of locating the battery inside the cabin? I'm thinking about a sealed battery such as an Optima, etc. Would behind the passenger seat or in the back be alright? I know people do it all the time, but are there any real dangers?

Ive got mine placed behind my passenger seat. I'm using an odyssey battery but, I'd only use a drycell if it's placed inside.

The only real danger I see is a short so use fuses and a kill switches if possible. During all tech inspections tech's will check that the batteries are securely fastened to the chassis, and that all positive poles are covered (plastic, rubber etc.)

NHRA will not pass you with that setup. Rules explicitly describe the mounting inside of a battery box vented to the outside of the car. Just a heads up.

If you do run a battery in your car, make sure it is bolted down well enough that an accident wont tear it loose. Also, an optima etc.. is a must. They would be a much safer choice.

Evan

Yea they almost wouldn't let me run at SEZ with my battery inside...I shot the ♥♥♥♥ with him for a few minutes and he just told me to fix by the next time i can back :-D

Even though I have a "dry cell" or absorbed glass matt battery I went ahead and put it in the engine compartment not only for safety but it also easier to access. Several people have placed them in the rear under the floor on the passengers side and it has turned out pretty trick i thought.