HybridZ

Whats wrong with this bracket??

Guest NESS89

Guest NESS89

I just got this LS1 bracket to relocate my alternator and there seems to be something wrong. This bracket pushes the alternator too far forward that i cant line up the belt with the rest of the pullies. see attached pics.

DSC00504_thumb.JPG

DSC00505_thumb.JPG

DSC00507_thumb.JPG

DSC00508_thumb.JPG

DSC00509_thumb.JPG

DSC00510_thumb.JPG

DSC00511_thumb.JPG

DSC00512_thumb.JPG

That bracket looks correct for an LS1, but your lower pulley and water pump pulley don't look like an LS1. By referencing my other vehicle turbo rx7 thread I can see that your lower pulley and water pump pulley do not seem to put your belt in the same place as an LS1. They look like different pieces and will likely not work with the LS1 alt mount.

Guest NESS89
LS3 front accessories seem to be located farther inward. Looks like its time for some fab work.

Or just switch me motors, mines ready to go :D

i think ill do the fab wok on the brcket, but thanks for the offer:smile:. hopefully with the front accesories farther inward the harmonic dampner wont hit the steering rack with the JCI mounts.

That bracket is for an Fbody accessories. You have a C5 motor and accessories so the damper is much closer to the block. You might run into more problems if you leave the alternator there with the alternator move back to align the pulley. This might all depends on how low the motor sits with the JCI mounts. I used the C5 motor but I've made my own mounts and my motor is sitting very low and all the way back. With the alternator in that location the alternator will sit on the steering shaft. You might get lucky with the JCI mounts since they set the motor higher and forward than my setup. For reference, my oil pan is only a few inches from the ground and my damper is 1/2" away from the rack. Please document your swap since you are doing something I believe is different then the rest of us.

GL

Vinh

PS. On my friend's Fbody swap using JCI mounts, I remember the alternator is sitting very close to the steering shaft. So if you move it back some it might rub. Double check it before you modify that bracket.

Here is a picture of where I had mine originally and without using the bracket.

2079260_28_full.jpg

I ended up installing a Honda alternator on the passenger side and to simplify the belt configuration I used an electric water pump. This helps clean up the front of the engine a lot.

20792600098_large.jpg

Here is a picture of where I had mine originally and without using the bracket.

2079260_28_full.jpg

See, I wonder if I install my alternator directly on to the block like this if the belt will make enough contact on the water pump and wont slip. HHHmmmmm...... I wonder......

I think your first concern should be whether the alternator will rub the steering shaft. If it clears the steering shaft then you can easily mount a another pulley on top to address the belt issue.

I think you can still leave the alternator in that location like I had but you will have to raise the motor higher. I don't know where the motor sits with the JCI mounts. I have both LS1 swaps (C5 with custom mount and fbody with JCI mounts) here in my garage. I can do a comparision of the 2 and report back if that helps you. I've been slacking off lately and have not go to my garage for a few months now. I should get back to it the end of this month. What harness do you plan to use for your swap?

• Administrators

Post #9 in this thread linked below I am pretty sure applies directly to this situation using to the LS2 style water pump. :wink:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/265717-helpful-accessory-drive-conversion-gm-part-numbers-oem-parts.html

Just a word of wisdom here....that LS-2 water pump does allow lots more room but if you are using it with the GM brackets you may have to do what I did.....use a puller and move the pulley forward on the shaft about 3/8" and then tack weld it. With my stock 1998 F body setup the belt wanted to fall off the front of the LS-2 pulley until I made that little modification. In all other respects it's a direct bolt-on.

***edit***

Vinh hit the nail on the head. Ness has the Vette accy drive configuration which is one belt width closer to the engine vs. the F-body Accy drive. Sorry about that...