HybridZ

vh45 powered z32

goodtimes88

hi I am weighing my options and i was wondering if its worth it to put a vh45 into my 91 na 300zx or should i just do the VG30dett conversion since I'm starting new with the car. I do not know what to do In my opinion i would love to put the vh45 into my z32 and twin turbo it that would be in my mind something very very cool to do. If someone wants to give me the pros and cons of both that would be so awesome because i have seen a z32 with a twin turbo vh45de and it sounded mean and awesome so if you have any suggestions i am open to them thank you also if anyone knows how to do the swap and has pics of it being done and how it was done and what needs to be done that would mean a great deal to me:-D

• Administrators

Here are the Pros and Cons as I see them;

VG30DETT

PROS;

1) Already fits perfectly in the car with no mods to the body, wiring, cross member, oil pan, exhaust etc. It already fits!

2) More plentiful than the VH45DE.

3) Considerably more aftermarket support than the VH45DE.

4) Are capable of insane power levels with “off the shelf” aftermarket internals.

CONS;

1) Is an absolute pain in the arse from a maintenance standpoint (which is one of the biggest reasons why I am yanking my VG30DE form my ’93 and installing my VH45DE or and LSx, leaning more towards the LSx so the VH might be for sale).

2) Is reality heavy for its displacement. The VG30DE is only a smidge lighter than the VH45DE yet is giving up half again its displacement to the VH45DE, 1500 CC worth!

VH45DE

PROS;

1) Has half again the displacement of the VG30DE, which means that for a given comparable build/tune, N/A or boosted, will produce approx half again as much power! That's 50% MORE for given build level/tune! :2thumbs:

2) Any weight penalty the VH45DE brings is so small you wont notice it driving the car!

3) Capable of Ludicrous power levels under boost with custom internals!

CONS;

1) Not as much aftermarket support. Cams, rods pistons, etc are more of custom item than an “off the shelf” item and will carry a higher price tag.

2) Have to adapt the VH45 to the Z32 5 speed or other manual trans if you prefer manual shifting or, if auto is your flavor, the VH45DE auto I understand is very similar if not the same case the as the VG30DETT case, just different bell housing? That would actually fall under the PROS list :wink:

3) More down time during the conversion as a combination of oil pan, cross member mods will need to be performed as well as fabbing motor mounts etc. Then adapting the P/S, A/C, Alternator, etc.

4) The stock intake manifold will not clear the stock Z-32 hood. If I do the VH45DE I will be scratch building a custom intake, don’t want to mod the factory aluminum hood.

There are many other finer details to that list and depending on your mechanical savvy and fabrication skills can be daunting to tackle or just another fun project you can’t wait to sink your teeth into. I didn't include budget as the cost of either will be heavily influenced by your resourcefulness as a fabricator, parts scrounger and information digger.

Best of luck,

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just picked up my VH and trans ,ECU and everything else I have been looking into it for awhile and spoke to acouple people here on the Z sight so far it has been the best fittment of any V* so far or thats is what I have been told

Viper Sniper

When are you starting your project?