HybridZ

280 driveshaft u-joints

Guest 2adz

I have a 1976 280 and am noticing wear on the rear driveshaft u-joint at the diff. I know these are said to be non-replaceable but can they be replaced? Are there better options than replacing the originals? :(

Instead of using a c-clip to hold the joint in, Nissan crimped the yoke around the u-joints. You might be able to grind the crimps, press out the joints and hone the thing smooth, but doubtful. Get a driveshaft from a 72-73 240 and you should be fine to replace joints.

Originally posted by Mike C:

Instead of using a c-clip to hold the joint in, Nissan crimped the yoke around the u-joints. You might be able to grind the crimps, press out the joints and hone the thing smooth, but doubtful. Get a driveshaft from a 72-73 240 and you should be fine to replace joints.

That's what I thought, thanks.

I know this thread is a couple of days old, but...

when I had my driveshaft fabricated ( I know, I'm supposed to use the neapco adapter, but this is what I did anyway...) The driveline shop replaced the ujoint in the datsun end of my driveshaft for 50 bux. ouch! But that's the only way to have it done, the ujoints themselves are special order parts...

Bill

• 4 years later...

I've done a couple of the staked shafts. They are a pain to replace the joints in - I pressed the old joints out, then opened the yoke holes up to fit standard joints, and milled the inside of the yoke flat to accept snap rings. It takes a bit of messing around to make sure that the new joint is centered in the yoke, but any good machine shop can do it. It probably wouldn't hurt to have the shaft balanced after the replacement. I recently bought the parts to make up a HD shaft with 1310 ujoints, and it may be cheaper to build a new shaft than to shorten the 280 style.

Doug

I had one driveshaft done at a local driveshaft shop some 10 years ago. Still holding up with the occasional squirt of grease. Recently, the same shop quoted $100 to have the proceedure done for one of my other Z's.

A local Nissan tech told me that the conversion is not always successful resulting in a noisy driveshaft.

get a new driveline built with 1310 u-joints or small dodge joints.

we do them all the time and if the u-joint goes bad you can just change the u-joint once you get a new style shaft made. it cost about $225.00 to have are shop make one.

thanks erik