HybridZ

Fuel Injected L26

dan5138

I recently parted out my 260Z, unibody was FUBAR b/c of all the cancer. I kept the L26 however, with the intention of rebuilding it. To make a long story short I started tearing it down, and the damn thing looked brand new inside. Pistons had only a tiny bit of carbon on them, bearings looked like new, so i just mic'ed everything and put it back together. Heres the weird part: it had flat top pistons with no overbore marking or aftermarket markings on them. I thought the l26 came with dished pistons? I also kept the E88 head and cut the injector ports in and had to make a couple new bolt holes for the EFI manifold. With this setup i should have ~ 9.5 CR (according the OZ engine calc I was using anyway) Anyway I got it into my 76 280z and have had it started, just need to hook up the EGR line, and finish the exhaust.

A few questions on this:

Is that calc right about my CR ~9.5? If so this should give this motor a little more 'kick'

Where did those flat top pistons come from?

How much should I lean the AFM out if any? (I may just adjust the idle mix and call it good)

I did drive the 260 some before i found the cancer... it did seem to have a little more umph even with the SUs out of tune (the run on was pretty annoying)

Any input, suggestions w/e are appreciated!

I recently parted out my 260Z, unibody was FUBAR b/c of all the cancer. I kept the L26 however, with the intention of rebuilding it. To make a long story short I started tearing it down, and the damn thing looked brand new inside. Pistons had only a tiny bit of carbon on them, bearings looked like new, so i just mic'ed everything and put it back together. Heres the weird part: it had flat top pistons with no overbore marking or aftermarket markings on them. I thought the l26 came with dished pistons? I also kept the E88 head and cut the injector ports in and had to make a couple new bolt holes for the EFI manifold. With this setup i should have ~ 9.5 CR (according the OZ engine calc I was using anyway) Anyway I got it into my 76 280z and have had it started, just need to hook up the EGR line, and finish the exhaust.

A few questions on this:

Is that calc right about my CR ~9.5? If so this should give this motor a little more 'kick'

Where did those flat top pistons come from?

How much should I lean the AFM out if any? (I may just adjust the idle mix and call it good)

I did drive the 260 some before i found the cancer... it did seem to have a little more umph even with the SUs out of tune (the run on was pretty annoying)

Any input, suggestions w/e are appreciated!

Normally the L26 pistons are dished of 7cc

but some L26 are building with flat top pistons of L24

The stock L26 with dished pistons: 8,29:1 of CR with 2565cc

The L26 with L24 pistons std.size: 9,28:1 of CR with 2565cc

The L26 with L24 pistons 0,020 over-bore: 9,38:1 of CR with 2596cc

The L26 with L24 pistons 0,040 over-bore: 9,48:1 of CR with 2627cc