HybridZ

Tranny won't work after rebuild

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just finished rebuilding my TH-350. I put it in last night and fired it up for the first time. The first thing I noticed was the wheels we're moving forward when I was in park (I am up on stands). I put it in reverse and it still goes forward. When it's in N, D, 1, and 2 it does nothing. If I go back in to R or P it does nothing. It doesn't feel like it is really engaging in to any gears, so I think the linkage may be wacky. I have a Quarterstick Shifter. Any ideas? I'm pretty desperate here as winter is coming and I need to sell this car before I move.

Guest Anonymous

Alright. First off...I got it working!!! I had the linkage backwards so 1 was P and P was 1 etc... I got that fixed but the linkage hits the exhaust now so I gotta figure it out. But if all goes well I should be driving it tonight.

Guest Anonymous

OK............

damn it.

I got it in and everything working, buuuuutt...

it slips.....in every gear. cuss.gif I think it has to do with the front pump/gasket or the valve body/gasket. Any ideas? I'll drop the pan and check out the valve body tonight, but I think it's probably the front pump.

Guest Anonymous

I will definitely recheck the fluid levels. I think the clutch packs are okay, because I had a local tranny shop check those out. I'll drop the pan pretty soon here, though and find out.

Actually, now that I think about it, I may have two little fluid. The dipstick seemed to read ok, but when I drained the pan the first time after the rebuild, only a quart or so came out. I put somewhere around 9 or 10 quarts in though...

Guest Anonymous

hmmm...no. The book never said to put anything in there. crap. My dad told me he thought I was supposed to fill it, but the manual never said to. damn. Well that's probably the problem, Oh well, the most the damage could be is $47 + core right? I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Not always. It's sort of a chicken - and - egg thing. The front pump fills the TC , but the TC turns the pump, but TC can't do it's thing unless full of fluid.

I've always filled them on the bench first before hanging it on the flexplate.

The TC fills after 15 seconds of running I would not worry about it just make sure you have enough fluid in the case it sounds like you are low. If you are full up, check your main line psi first before you pull the unit.If you did burn the converter you will need to check the trans cooler for debris if it did not get lodged there the next place is the valvebody unless you installed a filter in line on the return line from the cooler.You did install one right? The fluid goes from the pan to pump,then converter,to the cooler then the valvebody then lube ckts and the planetarys so if the converter dies it can take the rest of your "new" rebuild with it!! Keith

The VERY complete version of hoe the TC gets charged is as follows. When the engine cranks,the flywheel turning the TC manually drives the pump,atmossphric psi forces ATF through the filter,to the pump out the exhaust ckt of the pump to the face of the PSI regulator valve which restricts the flow building a back psi. This back psi builds charging the pump,TC,(which turns the input shaft) & all related oil ckts including the manual valve body. This psi is known as main line psi, it will continue to build until the spring behind the valve collapses, opening the exhaust ckts and returns the excess oil back to the pan. There is no chiken and egg needed this is what happens I spend every day at work up to my elbows in pink oil building Automatics Keith

Guest Anonymous

Well I took it for a quick drive down the street today and I have a different theory now. It definitely slips in reverse, but when in drive it drives really good for 2-3 secs than feels like it goes in nuetral. It just revs real easy. If you wait a few seconds or go to N and back to D, it drops in to gear and drives fine for a few seconds. Mechanically the gear selection seems to be working perfectly. Any ideas on this?

Guest Anonymous

I'm a little bit worried now. I drained the oil last night and it smelled horrible, obviously burnt. I'm probably going to end up taking the transmission in to a shop. This sucks so much. The reason I rebuilt it myself was to save money. By now I've spent pretty close to the price of a rebuild. Not to mention the time spent. So my advice is....have someone else rebuild your tranny unless you REALLY know what you are doing or have a friend who does. A lot of people told me it was easy, just a "big puzzle". I got a manual that was really helpful, but it still left me w/ a bunch of questions.

One last question. Does it matter if you fill your torque converter first or not? Half of people seem to say yes and half seem to say no.

Thanks for all your help guys.

its a good idea to fill it first, or just like half way, so you dont leave yourself in a puddle of pink when you install it, it takes a lot of fluid to fill it, so i would at least prime it with two or three quarts and then two or so for the rest of the trans, and fill er up once ive warmed the car up a little to

get the fluid circulating.