HybridZ

82 datsun truck trans

riverz

Four cylinder is a given with the trucks. Is it an '82 720 pickup with a Z22E engine?

I personally haven't researched the truck transmissions yet. You might have more luck on ratsun.com They have a whole section dedicated to the trucks (620, 720, etc)

The 1982-86 transmissions will interchange. Just measure the tailstock extension on your present transmission and make sure it matches the replacement. Your existing tailstock should be 16.0 inches but there was also a version that measured 16.75 inches (usually rounded up to 17 inches). You said the truck was a 4x2 and I don’t think a 4x4 transmission will work (I don't remember why).

Good luck... The 5-speed transmissions on the 720 Nissan trucks was always a problem area. The junkyard trannys will need to be disassembled for inspection and may even need a re-build (new bearings).

I had a 1983 5-speed that I drove for 250K+ miles. Good little truck, but I had to re-build the tranny twice!

I got the transmission apart and the shift fork for fith and reverse is bad. Every thing else looks good just need to find a new fork. Still can't beat it for 200 and very little rust only whole in the truck is in the bed where it got wrecked.