HybridZ

Alternator Relocation

Guest Grenade300

Guest Grenade300

I am running an LS1/T56 in my 73 240Z. I used the JCI swap, but hated the alternator placement; it was too close to the mount tower and the bottom of my alt was so close to the steering rack that it would strike the steering rack whenever the engine rocked.

So I created an alternator bracket that put the alternator on the passengers side head and the tensioner on the drivers side head. It works great! I've taken it racing in the local SCCA chapter and put about 150 miles of street driving on the car since the bracket was installed. Here are some pics.

The pics are with the stock tensioner, but you will need to use a Comp Cams high performance locking tensioner like the one seen here:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/hotnews/0608ch_comp_cams_belt_tensioner/index.html

BTW: The plates were cut out by a CNC Plasma cutter and the cutter still has the files to create more. If you guys are interested in one then shoot me a PM. This was not an easy item to create, so the cost would be about $175, and you would need to buy a comp cams tensioner.

Scott

SSPX0032_thumb.jpg

SSPX0035_thumb.jpg

SSPX0046_thumb.jpg

SSPX0047_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
I am running an LS1/T56 in my 73 240Z. I used the JCI swap, but hated the alternator placement; it was too close to the mount tower and the bottom of my alt was so close to the steering rack that it would strike the steering rack whenever the engine rocked.

So I created an alternator bracket that put the alternator on the passengers side head and the tensioner on the drivers side head. It works great! I've taken it racing in the local SCCA chapter and put about 150 miles of street driving on the car since the bracket was installed. Here are some pics.

The pics are with the stock tensioner, but you will need to use a Comp Cams high performance locking tensioner like the one seen here:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/hotnews/0608ch_comp_cams_belt_tensioner/index.html

BTW: The plates were cut out by a CNC Plasma cutter and the cutter still has the files to create more. If you guys are interested in one then shoot me a PM. This was not an easy item to create, so the cost would be about $175, and you would need to buy a comp cams tensioner.

Scott

There are several providers that offer relocation brackets specifically for the Ls1 and GenIII truck engines. I like KWIK Performance. Look here: http://kwikperf.com/lsx_alt_ps.html

g

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

There are several providers that offer relocation brackets specifically for the Ls1 and GenIII truck engines. I like KWIK Performance. Look here: http://kwikperf.com/lsx_alt_ps.html

g

Hi, i know this is an old topic, but my LS1 is from a 2004 GTO, and the larger alternator is slammed right up against the mount. I like the Kwik Performance alternator bracket, but I have the JCI A/C kit. Doesn't look like they will work together. Any suggestions?

Been through this myself. Didn't believe the advice of others, wasted a lot of time trying to make the GTO alternator work with JCI kit. Bottomline: you gotta get a Camaro/Firebird alternator ($60-$100). The front bracket is the same, but you gotta get a rear bracket from the dealer ($10). Don't waste another minute on your GTO alternator. You gotta also get a Camaro/Firebird alternator connector. If you really get serious about this, PM me and I'll send you pictures of the connector with the correct wiring. You might be able to save some money by getting a truck alternator which lacks the rear bracket, but I'd be willing to bet it will be alright without it, since the truck doesn't seem to need it.