HybridZ

A833 4 speed overdrive

mobythevan

Is there an easy way to identify this tranny at the junk yard. I saw something about an MY6 code. Of course none of the junk yards I talked to beleive that there was ever a manual 4 speed overdrive that was put into any mid 80's gm pickups. So I am going to be crawling around at the junk yards looking for one of these. Does anyone know if there were particular models that had this tranny? I was able to dig up one picture of the tranny, but not much else about it.

Hey Guy,

Check out this link for ratio info use the late model chart for refference.

One easy way to spot an a833 od is to look at the arms coming off the trans for sth shifter. On a standard 4speed the arms will all point up. on the od trans the top arm points down and the lower arm points up.

http://texas-jacksons.com/mopar/info_fourspeed.html

There is a shop in southern Calif called Stick Only that knows these inside out. Talk to Gordie if he is there. I am not where I have the number but will post it tonight.

Dennis

Guest John Adkins

The A833 was Mopar's all-purpose 4 speed in the 60's and 70's, used in everything on from slant 6's to Hemis.

The A833OD is most commonly found in Mopar trucks, vans and cars in the mid to late 70's. I don't know about the GM applications, but the mopar A833OD usually has an aluminum case instead of the older iron case...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Russ240z

I am intrigued by the A833 4 speed OD unit. V8Zed has posted lots of good info regarding his experience with this transmission. I was wondering if anyone else has used it with the Chevy engines (1 piece rear seal)and what their opinion is. It sounds like the perfect soluton for those of us on a budget. Why aren't more people running this combination? :confused:

Guest Anonymous

The A833OD and the Ford overdrive top-loader 4-speed (RUG) suffer from the same things. 1. Common opinion is that they are weak. 2. Common opinion is that the ratios are too widely spread for performance engines. 3. All the manufacturers were in a mad rush to have 5-speeds in their cars for marketing purposes.

The truth is they are perfectly suitable overdrive transmissions for budget hot-rodders.

Hey Guys,

Something to be said for the look on a 5.0 mustang drivers face when you shift into overdrive at 120+ and still accelerate away. These trans ,unlike a standard automatic o.d. do accept a full throttle upshift into high gear .73 o.d. 2thumbs.gif Shut it down at 140 indicated as he was a memory by then. The wide ratio is probably not the hot ticket for a standing start drag but at 75 on the highway a down shift to 3rd(1to1) puts me at 3800 rpm which it just where I start making power. Then shift at 6200 and you will drop right into the meat of the torque band.

YMMV

Dennis

Heart of America Zcar Club #13

www.HAZCC.com

I went ahead and bought one of these. It should arrive either today or tomorrow. The bigger problem from what I could see is actually finding one at a cheaper price. All of the junk yards I checked with wanted $550 plus core charge of $150 for the tranny. I found one cheaper but got a little bit lucky. Hopefully it is in good shape. Maybe you will have better luck in finding a junk yard that is easy to deal with. If you tell them it is a 4 speed tranny from an 82 chevy 6.2liter diesel it will come up on their system, otherwise they all seemed to be clueless about the tranny. I am sure it would be easier to go to a u-pull-it type junkyard and just try to find one yourself, but all the yards around me seem to be past that mode of operation.

One other thing, it seems to be a rarity that v8zed got one of these that has a standard type bellhousing bolt pattern. It looks like most of them have a unique pattern so make sure you get the bell housing with it. And I guess with the unique bell housing means your stuck with mechanical clutch linkage??

Guest Russ240z

V8ZED, I'm curious how much you spent on your trans. You may have posted it and I missed it. I'm trying to figure out what a good price is. How about you Moby... how much better did you do than $550.00?

Not trying to be nosey. I'm still undecided between the T5 and A833. I'm on a budget so the T56 is out.

Thanks guys,

Actually I paid $500 shipped for the tranny with bellhousing, resurfaced flywheel, new clutch, new pressure plate, shifter, clutch fork, z-bar, shifter linkage, clutch linkage, throw-out bearing, tranny mounts, etc. I got to see pictures of the inside of the tranny before buying and it is in very good shape. Only problem is that UPS lost the box with the tranny in shipment! cry2.gif I only got the box with the bellhousing, clutch, etc. I hope they find it. How the @#%* can you lose a 110 pound wooden crate?

hey guys,

I paid $120.00 for the first one with a standard chevy bolt patern. Paid $100.00 for the spare with the different bolt patern. Paid Stick Only $129.00 for a complete rebuild kit and did it myself. Not really too hard to do, easier than an auto. Both were E-bay purchases and both were good trans. Mobythevan did very well too, since he got everything needed to install it for one price.I spent 35.00 for bellhousing,40.00 for a 6cylinder flywheel(20lbs, v8 29 lbs),85.00 for clutch kit (10.5 inch ) and 20.00 for two monza clutch cables. I also have about 6 hours fabbing a bell crank on the peddle assembly to run the cable clutch , and 5hours for the rebuild which I did just to be sure . Don't was to sieze a bearing at tripple digit speeds. Above prices included shipping.

rockon.gif

Dennis

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest 86 gmc

just so everyone knows i feel the pain 86 gmc with stock 3spdod most gm dealers want admit they have it but the good note i have over 400k on my tranny and if you can keep the front wheels on the ground it will pull it hurst claims they didnt make the shifter and i give them there #s gotta try again or send for a rebuild thanks for the post about them being in the 6.2l gonna have to check into it gotta 86 silverado at 350 trans thats a pain