HybridZ

1984-89 Corvette aluminum driveshaft 27 1/2 inches between u

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Will this 27 1/2 between u joint id centers fit any Hybrid z application? The search function is not working well for my question and the Chevy Forum is completely out to lunch on me.. Recently there were many posts by members on their drive shaft length but I can not find the thread. I am concerned that the cost of welding a shortened Corvette aluminum shaft to fit a Hybrid z may cost more than my benefit of having a drive shaft of aluminum rather than steel. My application is the 350 JTR / 2004R GM tranny with R200 diff. I picked up a Corvette aluminum shaft with new u joints today from an owner who replaced it for vibration but later found out the vibration was in the differential. Thanx for replies

Guest Frank280z

27.5" seems a bit long. Mine is somehwere around <>22". Can't remember. A driveline shop shouldn't charge too much to do that over. Would probably cost more if you where adding to it.....

Guest Anonymous

My 2004R tranny application should require a 20 inch plus or minus drive shaft.It would have been great that this Corvette shaft would fit something for someonelse's application but it will make a good contribution to the Tomahawk project. Even if an additional fee is added on for welding the aluminum, it will be worth it (to brag about.LOL) Finally made it to the Redmond Oregon Swap Meet which usually is about the best swap meet outside of the big Portland meet. The aluminum shaft and new u joints were purchased for $10.00 from an asking price of $25.00. The yoke is attached but does not fit the 2004R GM tranny. I came home with some deals, I have been seeing posts that the Hybrid Search functions were haywire and for me there were problems.

Guest Anonymous

From a Google Search. Driveline Northwest in Seattle (1-800-552-7647) quoted me a figure of $125.00 to shorten the Corvette aluminum drive shaft.Apparently no professional shop in Oregon reportedly does aluminum shortening. The drive shaft diameter is too large for my big Rigid pipe cutter to turn a straight circle cut to shorten the straight shouldered drive tube myself. From another web site they suggested using a cardboard tube from a carpet roll to ship the drive shaft in. I will check again and get quotes locally for steel drive shaft shortening.One local shop gave me a $175.00 quote for steel drive shaft shortening. I may get an aluminum shaft after all.

Guest Anonymous

...there is a shop in Goshen, OR near eugene springfield area that does driveline and rear-ends....if i remember right its called "driveline specialties". thats where i had mine done at over 4 years ago. cost me 100 bucks and they build one for me from scratch....i didnt supply nothing to them.....if you still cant find the shop my old friend Ken still manages Q st Knechts give him a call at 541-746-9999. he was the person who suggested i take it there in the first place.

later

Jesse

With a straight up mounting (no setback) with 350/TH350 trans in a 280 ZX, my driveshaft was exactly 27" long center to center, but that is 1/4 in too long, so figure 26 1/2 to 26 3/4. That would be really close to what I would need, but i would have to move the motor forward by 3/4 in (not that big a deal) or have it shortened. I don't know what shop quoted you 175.00 to shorten a steel driveshaft, but here it cost me 40.00, plus 30.00 to have it rebalanced. You could just squirt a tube of grease in it before the yokes are welded on instead of rebalancing and save 27.00, I hear it works fine. My dad does fabrication work on heavy duty mining equipment in WV, and thats what he does. Swears it eliminates vibration completely from the shaft and lasts for years.

Bill

Guest Anonymous

yea i know TJ....i know Dave and Wally too....tried to talk me out of joining the military....seems as they were going to give me an auto parts store of my own...it was between Cottage Grove or Creswell Knechts....but they couldnt match the medical, dental, and retirement benifits of the military....kinda miss working in the parts business though...well enough of me rambling.

Later

Jesse

Guest Anonymous

Bill .. too late I just fell in love with that aluminum drive shaft. I will send it to Seattle for shortening if I cannot find a cheaper place. I picked up two Neapco diff flanges (2-2-899-1)@ $32.74 a piece that appear to fit to the Corvette u joints and a bolt up to the R200 Datsun diff. ONE TIP on the flange which might clear up a problem there is another Flange # 2-2-899 that is a separate part and will not fit the r200 diff found in the 280 Z