HybridZ

rebuilding l28et

stravi757

Im just finished getting my l28et in my 78 280z. its running okay but ive run into problems. my exhaust manifold is leaking from the gasket and my car instead of putting out 7psi is only pushing 4 now :(... so ive decided that i want to rebuild the engine as long as im going to have to replace the gasket. i wanted to know what u guys think i should replace. the engine has approximently 1200000 miles on it. so what do u guys think i should do, i dont want to spend too much money but i want to replace things to make sure it will be in good running order? note i want to in the future be making about 250hp and my turbo is rebuilt.

Big difference between changing a gasket and rebuilding a l28et for 250hp. Gotta have some money for horses. Change the gasket and save some money. In that time search here and plan your motor first. Spend the money on block and head then slowly add fuel management parts. Good to go

Cheers

i see ur point, but the thing is its not just as simple as replacing the gasket becasuse i have two threads in the head that are completely warped so i will be taking the head to a machine shop...so i will have the head off, thas why im asking what u guys think i should replace while i have it off.

i see ur point, but the thing is its not just as simple as replacing the gasket becasuse i have two threads in the head that are completely warped so i will be taking the head to a machine shop...so i will have the head off, thas why im asking what u guys think i should replace while i have it off.

just fix whats broken for now. do the head and just replace what needs to be, head gasket, intake/exhaust gasket, w/e. im at the finishing end of my L28et build and its taken a few months and iv spent nearly $1,500 and thats with me finding some crazy deals and trading parts.

okay.. in your original post, you typed 1.2 million miles on the engine. I assume you meant 120,000 :)

Before you tear the motor down, I would do a compression test and (if you have the tools) a leakdown check on the motor. If it is in Good shape, I would find a way to repair your threads without removing the head (read: heli-coil, something inventive.. not EVERYthing needs a machinist now.) 120K is not THAT much on the clock; a manifold gasket is a manifold gasket.

If the compression numbers aren't so hot, go ahead and pull the motor, take the head to the machinist, and have him inspect it (or read up on how to inspect it yourself.) If you want to change the timing gear while you've got it apart go ahead; flip the shortblock, pull the oilpan, and inspect the crankshaft.. Examine the bores of the cylinder walls for evenness, etc. There are books and posts online and other places that tell you in much more wondrous detail.

If the motor is really toast, just bring it to the machinist and say "rebuild!" Get your wallet out. Get ready.

Those are pretty much the "levels" and how you determine them.