HybridZ

Pressure plate allignment issues and clutch questions

cockerstar

EDIT: I believe that I simply have the wrong pressure plate for my application. Please scroll down to the concerns I have about my clutch disk. Thanks! :D

Hey guys!

I've finally got my motor pretty much buttoned up after the rebuild so I decided to clean up my flywheel before this weekend to make the installation as quick as possible. It has a few years worth of surface rust on part of it, but I didn't see ant pitting so I went with a vinegar soak for ~18 hours and then followed it up with a brass wire brush. It was resurfaced prior to sitting and clean up quite well :D

No pitting visible and it is consistently smooth to the touch,

Right out of the vinegar:

(forgot to grab a before shot... doh!)

P200109_1443.jpg

After cleaning I decided to mock up the pressure plate just because I could it's a new unit and to my dismay, the alignment holes on it don't line up with the dowels on my flywheel! Two of them line up perfectly, but the third one is always a bit off regardless of orientation. What the heck is up with that?

Is this due to poor craftsmanship with the pressure plate?

That's all I'm really able to come up with here...

Overall View:

P200109_1539.jpg

Close up of the issue:

(both of the other dowels are lined up)

P200109_1542.jpg

I also had a question as to which clutch dish you guys would run. I have had an exedy OE clutch waiting for this car for awhile, but I picked up a clutchnet four-puck from a member here on hybridZ when I purchased his turbo set up. He said that it was nice and snappy and held everything his megasquirted l28et put out so I thought it would be more than enough for my l24. However, I am concerned as to the amount of "meat" left on the disk even though he said it had less than 500 miles of use. After looking at other pics, the amount of material on the disk looks to be normal, but I'd still like some conformation.

Exedy clutch:

P200109_1546.jpg

P200109_155201.jpg

Clutchnet four-puck:

P200109_1545.jpg

P200109_154501.jpg

P200109_154502.jpg

Thanks for the imput!

If its a street car I would stay away from the clutchnet. I've got one of their 6-pucks, and its OK now, but as it was breaking in it chattered horribly. it still chatters sometimes, and launching is tricky. I'm used to it now, and its not so bad, but if I were to do it again I'd get a heavier pressure plate and a stock disc. Mine even slips sometimes with a stock L28E...

If its a street car I would stay away from the clutchnet. I've got one of their 6-pucks, and its OK now, but as it was breaking in it chattered horribly. it still chatters sometimes, and launching is tricky. I'm used to it now, and its not so bad, but if I were to do it again I'd get a heavier pressure plate and a stock disc.[/b'] Mine even slips sometimes with a stock L28E...

This is GOOD advice. I'll add a bit more: get a quality disk, Paraut if you can find it. They are supposedly the supplier for Nissan's stock factory disks and pressure plates. I am not a fan of the rubber springs you have there, nor a fan of puck clutches for cars that don't need them. If this is for your car with the E31 and SU's, a puck clutch is overkill. You could probably get away with a stock pressure plate, but if you're feeling like you have to get something stiffer, I do like the ACT that I was running with a stock disk. It was holding 240ish whp, no problems.

Yeah, it's for the set up I have in my sig. As of now, I just want my car running as soon as I can get it going so I'm trying to use what I have right now. That means a new OE pressure plate, the exedy clutch, and the clutchnet clutch. I was planning on running the puck clutch because I have it and if I end up disliking it I can always swap out for the other one easily enough.

When I go with my second motor (ie. down the road quite a bit - middle of the summer at least) I'll be going with something better. Thinking that a Fidanza flywheel with a stock disk and heavy pressure plate seems to be the ticket. With what I currently have I figured that the puck clutch would be a bit snappier, which is the kind of feel I was looking for.