HybridZ

Another fuel tank fix

logr

I have been struggling with the surge tank idea but really don't like the idea of twice as many pumps not to mention where to hang all that stuff and all of the fittings that could leak.

I found an alternative that is free and works great. I took an SX tank out, rinsed it and filled it with water, cut an inch away from the pump mounting ring and then drilled 4 holes through the sump on the spot welds. I now had everything that I needed to fix the Z. The Z tank is an inch taller but I lowered the mounting spot which is on the highest and furthest forward part of the Z tank. I then fitted the sump in the sweet spot, bent the guage lever over a bit and welded in the sump. Everything worked great. I fitted the mounting ring onto the top where I had cut the hole and welded it on. I now have a sump, 255 Walbro and 5/16 lines to hook to whatever engine I choose, in my case an SR.

I wonder if the SX guage lever would work in the Z.

All I need to do now is run one more line or use the vent pipe for the return. It is only 1/16 smaller than stock SR. Not sure on that one.

I pointed the hose outlets right above the stock 240Z ones and have great clearance. I may cut a hole in the floor above the pump and mount the SX cover over it for pump access but it doesn't seem neccessary.

Here is what the pump, mount and sump look like. This is the new walbro for an sx. Guess you can see the tank also.

IMG_0130.jpg

Here is a picture of the sump installed looking down from the top.

IMG_0128.jpg

Here is the finished product ready for install after painting.

IMG_0127-1.jpg

Sorry, yes everything is from a junked 1990 240SX. Take the tank out. Use caution and cut out the mounting ring and sump-- well you get the picture. I have a few of the 240SX's laying around but there are usually a few in a pull and save type yard for cheap. It is just a simple, clean way to have an internal sump and great pump mount for cheap. I used a wire feed welder with .030 wire but tig would be better. I don't have a picture of the Z tank with the hole cut in the top because I had no intention of posting pictures. Just cut it where you can see mine is welded in and you will be fine. I never know if people are interested or not and tend to not share due to this.

Sorry, yes everything is from a junked 1990 240SX. Take the tank out. Use caution and cut out the mounting ring and sump-- well you get the picture. I have a few of the 240SX's laying around but there are usually a few in a pull and save type yard for cheap. It is just a simple, clean way to have an internal sump and great pump mount for cheap. I used a wire feed welder with .030 wire but tig would be better. I don't have a picture of the Z tank with the hole cut in the top because I had no intention of posting pictures. Just cut it where you can see mine is welded in and you will be fine. I never know if people are interested or not and tend to not share due to this.

Thanks. It's interesting and I have no doubt people appreciate another option.

I didn't want to run a new fuel return line so I bent the vent line over to the passenger side and used it and the original 3/16 fuel return line as my return. A barb T did the trick quite unobtrusively. I used a 240SX fuel filter mount to hold things firmly. I ran the returns to the original tank fittings, used the new pump outlet for the fuel feed and the return on the top of the new pump as another vent. I then ran the original vent hose from the burp tank to to a 240SX tank valve that bolts on in front of the tank and then to a small filter. Simple, neat and no line on the bottom of the car. Still need to do some rust repair.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg