HybridZ

What can the Turbo Auto Tranny take?

Bernardd

My auto trans is in need of a rebuild after 110 thousand miles. My problem is I can't find

anyone that knows anything about the strength of the Jatco unit. I have a t04b compressor

ready to install but I need to address this first. I've got a 5sp NA with all the necessary conver

sion parts but then a clutch becomes the problem. I guess I'd like to know how much abuse it

can take , and where can I get some performance parts/info for the auto.

Bernard

I just went 11.2@130 with the Jatco and you can get performance clutches for it as well as line your bands with kevlar. I also have the specs for the valve body mods if you can verify that the 3n71B mods are the same as the 4n71b mods. You will need to call Level 10 performance to get those answers.

This may be more of something to laugh about than to take into account. I'm still running an auto tranny out of a `72 in my orange 240zt, which has a t04b compressor. When it's hot outside and I've been driving it for a while it has a tendancy to slip on a hard launch, but otherwise it's pretty driveable, and shifts nice and solidly. I know I should replace this 3 speed tranny with probably the one out of a starion, but for the time being it's not breaking. I would think that the later model tranny sold with the 280zxt is stronger than the one that was bolted up to a NA L24 back in the early 70's.

Sorry I don't have any solid 1/4 mile times, I've been playing with my setup a lot, but I think it's safe to say I'm capable of running high 13's at around 12psi of boost if my tranny is cool. After I get this MAF thing fine tuned I hope to turn up the boost a bit more, but don't expect to push very much through this little starion FMIC.

James, is your current tranny setup just strait out of a starion/conquest using a L series maxima bell housing? Is the tranny a 3 speed with over drive?

Get a tranny from a 87 or later starion unit as the 88-89 conquest tranny required a few more mods. Yes, just a stock rebuild on the 4N71B and swap over the maxima bellhousing. Use the maxima flex plate and the starion converter(higher stall) and you are set. You will have to fab a mount and shifter linkage yourself. OLT, you do need to do some simple valve body mods to up the line pressure and shift firmness.

I don't know, but you are more than welcome to go and find out. You will never get the specs for clutch packings in those various trannies. Also, some of those trannies are the E4N71B which is the electronic lockup trannies and you will need a controller for the tranny. I do not have the specifics, but level 10 sells a computer controller for that tranny for about $425. I am selling my tranny/flexplate/converter/driveshaft/front-diff-flange if anyone is interested as I am going to a turbo 350 so I can get a transbrake.