HybridZ

RB26 - 87mm head gasket with smaller pistons

TurboSE

I've asked this question on a few RB forums and always received mixed responses and reasons.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my block and I've looked at several head gasket manufacturers, and the big names (Tomei, Cosworth etc.) don't seem to make a gasket in any size smaller than 87mm.

I haven't pulled my internals yet, but the rest of the motor has been in excellent shape so I don't think I'll have to bore all the way up to 87mm.

My questions: If I'm running 86/86.5mm pistons and and use an 87mm head gasket, will I run into any problems?

Also, what is everyones opinion on Cometic head gaskets?

No problem. In fact, it helps protect the gasket by being back away from the edge of the cylinder. Cometic is just as good as any of the other standard MLS gaskets. Gaskets with stoppers (like Tomei) seal around the chamber better, but are more expensive.

No problem. In fact, it helps protect the gasket by being back away from the edge of the cylinder. Cometic is just as good as any of the other standard MLS gaskets. Gaskets with stoppers (like Tomei) seal around the chamber better, but are more expensive.

Thank you for your answer, I've been chewing on this question all day. So for 700-750whp is a Cometic good enough, or would you go higher end?

PS - That answer makes more sense than any of the others I've received...

good to note that the smidgen of compression you lose in your compression ratio is negligible too. as noted by matt, keeping the gasket away from the ring lands is not a bad thing considering RB pistons have a positive deck @ TDC.

this practice is mentioned in the engine building books I have too.

good to note that the smidgen of compression you lose in your compression ratio is negligible too. as noted by matt, keeping the gasket away from the ring lands is not a bad thing considering RB pistons have a positive deck @ TDC.

this practice is mentioned in the engine building books I have too.

also a good answer...I really appreciate all the help!