HybridZ

MSA Twice Pipes

Cutlass372

Hey everyone, I just received my MSA Twice Pipes today and thought I would post some pics. The pipes seem to be of pretty good quality, all the welds seem nice and the pipes were fairly easy to slide together. I plan to install the pipes within the next few days, but I need to find time to get to Napa to pick up my headers gaskets. My total came to $200 and included the Twice pipes and a set of intake and exhaust studs and nuts. This thing looks like its going to be pretty loud, so we will see how it goes. I will try and get some videos up once the pipes are on, I know videos may persuade some of you guys to go this route as well. It's going on a stock rebuilt L24 with twin Su carbs. Pretty much a normal stock install with 3-2 headers. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is the video as promised. Sorry you can't see **** till I turn the lights on, I had to wait till the batteries in the camera charged. It was kinda cold when I started it so thats why it sounds wierd at first. I dont think this video really does the exhaust justice but.. atleast it will give you guys some idea.

Sounds very nice ... except for the tapping sound. Sounds like a valve out of adjustment, or perhaps an exhaust leak?

You didn't say what you thought of the sound and loudness. What's it like at speed? I've read others say there's a drone in the 2500 rpm range.

I haven't had a chance to really drive it around as one of the fenders are off. The motor did tap a little before I changed to headers, but I know there are some exhaust leaks. The only problem is trying to get the headers tighter.. The bolts that the intake and Header both use are extremely hard to get onto straight and I am having some trouble getting them tight. Does anyone know a trick to tighten these down? It would help me out a whole lot. It isn't really that loud for my taste, however some of you my find it a little to loud for your taste. Any help on the header nuts would be greatly appreciated.

The bolts that the intake and Header both use are extremely hard to get onto straight and I am having some trouble getting them tight. Does anyone know a trick to tighten these down?

I found that most were best tightened using a deep socket and a universal joint.

00904250000.jpg

For a few, you may find it easier to use a closed end wrench due to clearance issues.

Also, you may find that you need to be careful with how you position the header against the ports of the head before you tighten it. I have one of MSA's older 6-1 headers and the flange is rather poorly cut. The result is that I have to lift the header up off the studs before tightening to ensure that none of the corners of the port are left exposed and leak. The 2 center exhaust ports are the most sensitive to position as the flange is angled on the sides.

I have been using universals, but the deep sockets might be a good idea. The pipes are just very tight on the ends so i'll have to try, thanks for the idea though. I really wanna get this car on the road though and start tearing it up lol. Some day :(. Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the exact same set up on mine. Originally I had a 78' 280Z and had ended up selling it. I never ended up putting it on, so after buying a 83' 280ZX turbo, having that exhuast system sitting in that MSA box for so long, and not having an exhaust system after custom making my 2.5" down pipe I said what the heck I'll give it a try considering both body styles had some similarities. Amazingly had no issues at all with the install. The inlet pipe was just a little over 2.5" on the set up so it just slipped right on my down pipe. Only really had to make a straight pipe extension so it would be long enough with for my car. I really like the set although I do miss the way my exhaust sounded and the way my turbo SCREAMED with JUST the down pipe installed, but really a good set up in my opinion even for us ZX folks! Also I would really think about painting it with some really high temp paint because mine have gotten REALLY rusty over the years. Must be made with mild steel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Twice pipe for 2 years now. It has been on 3 engines...

First a L24 with an auto box, all std, (hilarious, the sound was OK but it was killed every time by the slippage of the auto box) embarrassing :redface:

Then on a L28 with a F54 flat top piston, a P90 head and SU :shock: Best sound ever !

Now it's on the same bottom end but with a MN47 head and SU. The sound isn't at all as sexy? Very common, no more hi-tone :icon56:

Strange how the same exhaust can produce so many variation of sounds

Then on a L28 with a F54 flat top piston, a P90 head and SU :shock: Best sound ever !

Now it's on the same bottom end but with a MN47 head and SU. The sound isn't at all as sexy? Very common, no more hi-tone :icon56:

Strange how the same exhaust can produce so many variation of sounds

Any chance the cam on the MN47 head was different from the P90? When I went from a stock cam to a mild regrind on the same N42 head, I was surprised at how much quieter my exhaust became. I suspect that more overlap results in less sound - at least my limited experience suggests that.