HybridZ

WC T5 Flywheel and Clutch 400sbc

Guest Russ240z

Guest Russ240z

As some may recall I have been asking alot of transmission questions lately. Well today I took the plunge and bought a WC T5. Paid 500.00 for trans with hurst shifter, bellhousing, slave cylinder etc... Not sure if that is a good price but it is a step forward :D All the gears felt tight and I dumped some fluid out of the tailshaft and it looked clean.

Some of the others had brown/burned fluid :(

I have asked this before but since the search function is giving me a headache I'll ask this question for you 400sbc and T5 experts:

What are the options for external balance flywheel and clutch components? Anyone have any for sale?

Thanks.

Clutch parts are the same as for any small block. I think you will be limited to the 153 tooth flywheel with the T5 bellhousing which means an expensive flywheel. It also means a 10.5" clutch. I know Centerforce makes a 153 tooth flywheel for a 400 and McLeod might. McLeod makes a scattershield with both the standard trans pattern and the 15 degree rotated T5 pattern. I don't know if it keeps the Camaro slave or not. A call to PAW, a McLeod dealer, or Summit who has Lakewood, Hays, Centerforce, Ram etc. can answer your questions I am sure. I have had good luck and light pedal with a Centerforce II 11" pressure plate and McLeod street strip disc.

Guest Russ240z

What are the options for external balance flywheel and clutch components? Anyone have any for sale?

Here are a few answers I have found:

1. JEGS Centerforce PN 183-700102 294.99

2. Summit McCleod PN 460300-2 248.99

3. PAW McCleod PN 460300-2 233.95

4. SPEC (local) Star 299.00

These are the same flywheels as used on the T56 w/400SBC or a 383SBC. Has anyone used these products? I would like some feedback before I drop the cash. Looks like PAW is the choice for now.

Thanks again.

Guest Russ240z

I've decided on the McLeod flywheel from PAW. Now the question is clutch choice. This question should have a broader appeal since anyone running a manual has crossed this bridge before.

So, what is the best 10.5 inch clutch for a daily driver on a budget? Power is in the 350hp/400tq range.

I like the Centerforce II pressure plate. I've had one in my Camaro since '88. Not a lot of miles on it, but they are hard ones! I have the 11" one, but performance with the 10.5 (or is it 10.2) should be more than acceptable in a light car. I like the pedal pressure. It is stiff, but not ridiculous like the McLeod Long style fingers in the Borg&Beck hat. I have the McLeod street disc. Series 200 I believe? I ran the fiberglass "racing" disc with the B&B/L pressure plate, but it was a little grabby for a daily driver. I bought the '82-'83 280zx turbo CF II for my 2.8l motor as well along with a turbo flywheel. If you need to get into one cheaper, go for the Mcleod diaphragm pressure plate. Especially with the 400 since the rpm range is lower, the weights won't make as big a difference.