HybridZ

Tater Build

Yup, I'm in Idaho.

Found a super rust free, really straight early 260z. 86k original miles, with blown up engine, and the original 260 carbs. If anyone wants a great deal on any of the stock running gear, drop me a line......

15 years ago I built a 71 into a JTR. 350 with RV cam, alum intake, q jet, turbo 350 trans. koni's up front, ugly ugly car, but pretty quick for an autocross. Sold it to a buddy, and he totalled it 2 days later on a hillclimb. Then it sat for 6 years.

Combine the two cars, and that is my build.

Weighed the 260 at 2305 pounds, pretty much bone dry of every fluid, missing drivers glass, but otherwise road ready. Surprised me as I expected it to be heavier then that.

Pulled the 260 engine, weighed it at 580 pounds. this is with an AC compressor hanging off the side, and a 1 foot piece of exhaust pipe below the manifold.

The 71 had full suspension bushings under it, so I am going to salvage that stuff. I plan to section the strut tubes, and really slam the car down. Also convert to coil overs, and steal the zx rear brakes and toyota front calipers. I think the 15x7 wheels survived ok, so will probably use those.

Any suggestions on what springs to start with? Goal is somewhat streetable for very short hauls, and a lot of autox/track. 300 front/250 back?????

Thinking hard of lexan rear hatch. For sure going to yard the bumpers off and add front air dam.

paint it white/blue, and sell the car. 7500 bucks???

car is pretty well stripped down, started painting the interior.

weighed what is left. Right about 900 pounds. This is bare chassis, but with dash, stuff under the dash, steering rack and steering wheel, rear R180, both halfshafts, and stock driveline.

No hood, but did have rear hatch. No glass, doors stripped but on, interior completely gutted.

Btw, the 580 engine weight I listed above included factory 4 speed tranny.

680 pounds.

Is the air compressor 30 pounds? In any case, it looks like 100 pounds gain going to a v8 over factory engine.

Yes, but 1) lower polar moment of inertia due to the lower deck height of the V8 and 2) as good or better front/rear balance if you install using the set-back position (JTR).

What you didn't mention is if the engine is fitted with things like aluminum heads, intake, valve covers, waterpump, etc. All those things save a lot of weight. The TH350 trans is stout, I'm sure, but as long as you don't do any highway cruising, you'll be OK, otherwise it'll rev too high for sustained highway use.

Are you going to post some pictures?

Davy