HybridZ

Rearend in european 260z 76

Guest jens

The car got a 5 speed. Is it a r200 or just a r180. The 260z continued in europe with steel bumpers instead of the 280z. i hope some of you know anything as the seller dont.

Guest Anonymous

Jens , you may have to be more specific.. 1977 found Datsun putting 5 speeds in most of their models. electronic ignition? , fuel injection?.L26 or 2800 cc L 28 ?? R 180 diffs can be found in a lot of models. The r200 diff (pumpkin) sides are not symetrical with one side connecting to the half shaft pooching out further than the other side. There are old posts with side by side comparisons of the r180 and r200.

I believe ALL of the European cars got the 5 speed from the first 240's on up. It's hit or miss on yours from our perspective! In '75 on up all of the manual trans US cars got the r200, but some autos had the r180. Look for the bolt on bearing retainers behind the half shaft flanges. Also, I have seen at least two different style r180s. One that has the exact same halfshaft as the r200 and one that is different where it attaches to the diff.

Guest Anonymous
web page go here. download picture..take picture to car. get under car..look up...look at picture...decide for your self. LOL I do this and it works for me. Sometimes a flashlight with good batteries helps.

In Australia like Europe and Asia we had the 260 from 74 till 77 all were 5 speed or auto with the late model su,s. It seems that all 5 speeds had R200's ( no alloy bearing retainers at the axle shaft) while the autos had both the R180( alloy bearing retainers) and R200.

Steven