HybridZ

Yamaha R1

olie05

I guess this is old news, but The 2009 R1 features:

In the supersport liter class, there’s always lots of talk about power. You expect that. What you wouldn’t have expected – until now – is a radically superior way to deliver that power. Introducing the 2009 YZF-R1, the first ever production motorcycle with a crossplane crankshaft. Crossplane technology, first pioneered in MotoGP racing with the M1, puts each connecting rod 90° from the next, with an uneven firing interval of 270°- 180°- 90°- 180°. This all but eliminates undesirable inertial crankshaft torque, which allows the engine’s compression torque to build smoothly and provide a very linear power delivery out of the corners. It’s a feeling that’s simply unmatched, like having two engines in one: the low-rpm torquey feel of a twin with the raw, high-rpm power of an inline 4. In fact, the new YZF-R1 is not a continuation of existing supersport development; it is breakthrough technology that represents a paradigm shift in both technology and performance.

2009_Yamaha_R1_image_0_17471.jpg

Crossplane crank! Braap would cringe with his obsession with flatplane cranks. It certainly makes sense in this application, and I want one just so I can have a bike that sounds like Rossi's on the street.

Old news but cool news. I think it makes total sense for that application; on the other side of the same coin, it makes sense to have/want a single-plane crank in a large displacement V8. The R1 and other 4-cylinder liter bikes have such unwieldy power bands that have become increasingly more wild over the years - this development, as far as I've gathered, will keep about the same average power, but will spread it out across the power band so it can actually be used. It's kind of like a big-twin in the RC51 or Aprilia RSV Mille in the power department, but I can see one benefit being that there will be less stress on the crank from a 500cc cylinder. Not a perfect explanation, but that's basically what's happening.

• Administrators
I guess this is old news, but The 2009 R1 features:

2009_Yamaha_R1_image_0_17471.jpg

Crossplane crank! Braap would cringe with his obsession with flatplane cranks. It certainly makes sense in this application, and I want one just so I can have a bike that sounds like Rossi's on the street.

I heard that!?!?! .. :lmao:

WAY cool power-plant! Yamaha now brings the benefit of the dual plane crank to an inline 4 cyl application for the masses! :2thumbs: