HybridZ

ZX Subframe Connectors?

attworth

Does anybody make subframe connectors for the 79-83 cars? Bad dog only has for 70-78, and Zedd Findings doesn't make the subframe connectors, just the support rails.

My car needs new subframe connectors. Would it be ok to basically fabricate those connectors by welding 3 pieces together and then welding those to the car? I assume stitch welding would be the best bet for the 3 pieces, as well as the connectors to the floor. I don't have access to a sheet metal press or anything like that.

Also, when replacing these connectors, is it okay to jack the car up using either the subframe or factory pinch weld (stock jack location,)? I'd had to twist the body out of shape so much that the newly fabbed connectors wouldn't fit.

Thanks for the help.

Also, when replacing these connectors, is it okay to jack the car up using either the subframe or factory pinch weld (stock jack location,)? I'd had to twist the body out of shape so much that the newly fabbed connectors wouldn't fit.

To me it sounded very clear - the body is twisted enough that new replacement parts don't fit...If you're just talking about the floor pans, fine, but don't say body. If you meant to say the rails, say so.

We're glad to help, but you must give us good, valid information - hopefully clearly.

THAT SAID:

I still don't know what is not "squared up" as it relates to your quote above.

Regardless, the advice about seeing how Pet built his subframe connectors could be useful in seeing how to measure for yours. His site is:

http://AlteredZ.com

Ah! I see my typo now.

I said I'd HAD to twist...

I meant to say I'd HATE to twist..

Basically, where's the recommended place to lift the car when welding in the new supports? I've seen people on here using the new parts as a lift point. What about when cutting out the old bits to prevent warpage?