HybridZ

L28 transmission options

CU Zcar

I may have the chance to buy a Datsun 2000 Roadster 5-speed transmission with the special Zcar bellhousing, I was wondering if anyone knew how it compared to the FS5W71B gearbox in terms of strength. Also, I've been asking on 240SX.org about the FS5W71C transmission and using it in a Z, one guy who's done some mixing and matching with the cases has done it but said that the Z has a better shift mechanism and synchros. I can't say, I've never driven a 240SX, but I do know that I've worn out a few Z transmissions and wondered if the larger countershaft which I believe a 240SX tranny has makes it any stronger.

the 71B transmission is a pretty strong and reliable one, plus they are easy and cheap to rebuild. The weak points are the roll pins and the synchros. I don't know much about the roadster transmissions but I assume they are similar to the type A untis found in the early 240. Those were marginal for the 240 applicaiton.