HybridZ

i need someone that can replace my floorpans in tn or close..

240z!!!

im looking for someone to replace my floorpans in my 72 240z...ive already got the sheet metal (16g) to replace the old ones...im just looking for someone with the skills to cut out the old ones and weld the new ones in....i dont really wanna go through a shop...its a waist of money to pay the shop and the mechanic doing it...so i figured someone on here could do it or know someone that could do it for a decent price

im looking for someone to replace my floorpans in my 72 240z...ive already got the sheet metal (16g) to replace the old ones...im just looking for someone with the skills to cut out the old ones and weld the new ones in....i dont really wanna go through a shop...its a waist of money to pay the shop and the mechanic doing it...so i figured someone on here could do it or know someone that could do it for a decent price

How do you figure it's a waste of money? Do you know what it takes to do this? Don't forget you'll need frame rails too!!!

Your best bet is to get the Zeddfindings floor pans which are prebent to the shape of the car and FIT not just 16ga sheet metal that will be a PITA for somebody to work with. I'd start by cutting out the old ones then finding somebody to weld in the new.

How about giving it a shot yourself? Just get the tools and try it. Here are some picture of my car that I'm wasting money by having a shop replace the pans, and rails on. This was early on, I can snap some more pics this weekend and show the finished product.

100_5729.jpg

100_5727.jpg

100_5734.jpg

How do you figure it's a waste of money? Do you know what it takes to do this? Don't forget you'll need frame rails too!!!

Your best bet is to get the Zeddfindings floor pans which are prebent to the shape of the car and FIT not just 16ga sheet metal that will be a PITA for somebody to work with. I'd start by cutting out the old ones then finding somebody to weld in the new.

How about giving it a shot yourself? Just get the tools and try it. Here are some picture of my car that I'm wasting money by having a shop replace the pans, and rails on. This was early on, I can snap some more pics this weekend and show the finished product.

100_5729.jpg

100_5727.jpg

100_5734.jpg

i didnt mean it was a waste of money to pay someone..i was just saying why pay 1000-2000 @ 75 dollars an hour when you could just get a guy to do it and not have to pay half that...i know its a lot of work but im also willing to do most of it i just have to find someone who can weld them in first...

If your not in a hurry I might be able to do this for you cory. Im not set up at my new place yet. It would probably be cheaper for you to buy the bad dog rails and floor pans as the time it would take someone to fabricate new ones out of sheet metal would be more expensive. It might be a few weeks before im ready to really start working on cars again but il let ya know.

The above picture are Bad Dog rails and Zeddfindings floor pans.

You may want to also visit a welding shop to see what they would charge, $75/hour seems pretty steep given these economic times. I think if you shopped around $40-50/hr would be what you could find.

Doing all the prep yourself would save you tons too.

The above picture are Bad Dog rails and Zeddfindings floor pans.

You may want to also visit a welding shop to see what they would charge, $75/hour seems pretty steep given these economic times. I think if you shopped around $40-50/hr would be what you could find.

Doing all the prep yourself would save you tons too.

the only welding shop we have in this area charges rediculous amounts...they wanted to charge me 300 dollars to weld up 8 cracks in an exhuast manifold...then i went to a muffler shop and got them to weld it up for 10 bucks...and it worked fine every since and look good too...

Go talk to those guys at the muffler shop and see if they can refer you to somebody. Keep beating the bushes, take a drive outside of town, I've found several welding shops in my area that I didn't know existed. Look at places that make trailers too, those guys sales have dropped off too and they have lots of welding experience.

Don't be afraid to head over to the hispanic area of town (if you have one, we do) some of the guys around here are master auto mechanics and work for reasonable rates, esp on paint and body work.

If you feel like spending a day up in bowling green, I can do it with just the sheet metal. I did mine in 18G, and they are plenty stiff, but like others have said, you'll need new underfloor rails too. It's a 6+ hour job just to form the sheets and get them fitted, not including the welding. PM me and we can discuss it.

I was at it for 5 days to get both of mine in - however, the first side took up most of that time, once I got to the other side, it only took about 12-14hrs, from cutting out the old, bending up the new and installation, but then I waited a whole day and tacked it all in properly, that took a good day to do by itself - I went nice and slow to try and keep the warpage to a minimum!!!

I was at it for about 10 days all told to get the new floors in and the under body chassis rails complete - I shudder to think what this would have cost me if I was paying a shop to do it :-)!!!