HybridZ

Making Fiberglass S130 Doors?

260DET

Situation is I have a JDM two seat coupe which were never sold officially in AU. So no spare doors around, the nicely painted doors on the car will have to be used to take moulds from. I'm assuming one inside piece, one outside piece and glue them together.

So what is the best way to take moulds off the doors without damaging the paint? If anyone could describe the necessary steps that would be great or else links to relevant info. There seem to be a few ways it could be done, I'm not sure.

But seeing that the door locks and manual window winders with glass and guides have to be attached would it be all too difficult? If spare doors were available I'd consider using the metal inside part and bond that to a fibreglass skin.

Main reason for fiberglass doors is the ones I have weigh a ton, huge intrusion bars.

When I have made moulds of items I have wanted to remain in decent condition, I lay down lots of wax, 6-7 coats - then use a good quality tooling gel (not just ordinary gel-coat) so the mould will remain together after a make a set - so you wont have to make another mould anytime soon :-)!!!

Lay down one layer, wait a day, lay down the second layer, wait a day - then go nuts, lay down your chop-strand until you hit about 1800 weight and then pry it off!

Use good quality wax and the paint should remain intact!!!

I have just used PVA release instead of wax when I have been lazy and gotten decent recents with that during removal, but usally still end up with some paint being removed :-)!!!