HybridZ

R200 Rebuild

CU Zcar

I have a 300ZX clutch-pack LSD in need of new bearings, probably including the front drive pinion bearings/sleeves/washers. I also have a factory service manual for a 1978 280Z. The clutch packs seem to be fine, judging from the force required to turn the axles while it was out. Is it possible to make all the measurements to the drive pinion without the "dummy shaft" that the manual prescribes? If I do this myself, I'm going to buy a large press as well (so I can rebuild transmissions in my garage as well) so I should have all the tools necessary, and I'll order the shims as necessary, etc...I just don't have the $5-700 that the tranny shop says it'll probably cost to have them do it, while I can probably swing the $1-200 for bearings and such. Thanks for your input!

Guest Anonymous

You may want to utilize the dummy shaft as the manual out lines . A manual for the 300 Turbo ZX would be helpful. Good luck since you are going where fellow members have not tread often.(Piece together your own diff and tranny shop)good idea..

Barings are very precisely machined. The gear set is setup based on the particular housing which is where the shims come into play. I would not hesitate to disassemble the unit using your 78 manual, replace all of the bearings, then re-assemble with factory shims in their factory locations. It may not be same as when you took it apart, but it should restore everything to its original factory settings. I have not done this with an r200, but I HAVE rebuilt probably 10 different GM axles like that. Only time need all of the setup tools is when you are setting up a new gear set in your housing. Should you ever do a new gearset,If you know the depth that the pinion should be from the axle center line, you can use a universal pinion depth checker form Precision Measurement or Proform for $175 and $99 respectively. I have a T&D machine setup tool, but it does not have adapters for the r200, but when and if I need one I'll have it made. The T&D was $400. If you swap the LSD into a different housing and gearset, if you don't change pinion depth, all that needs to be confirmed is ring gear back lash which can be changed using a universal shim kit available at driveline shops.